CreweBrewer's Summer Session (20L)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreweBrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Grain bill: 3.4kg Maris Otter

Mash: 10L @ 68degC - 1 hour.
Sparge (batch): 15L @ 76degC

Hops:

15g Centennial @ 60min
10g Centennial @ 30min
15g Centennial @ 1min
40g Cascade @ 1min

SG 1.039
FG 1.009
ABV 3.9%
30 IBU
Yeast: Mangrove Jack's M44 (Fermentis US-05 will be equally fine)

This was purely a "bitsa" from what hops I had laying around. But it's a nice, light and neutral ale which is perfect when the summer shows up. My wife loves it! The hop varieties can be altered to your preference, but as long as you keep it around 30 IBU then you shouldn't be too far off.

Have fun with it.

Dave

I'm possibly comparing it to the hop bombs I'm used to. You can actually taste some malt with this one.

I'm going to open another one now and give live tasting notes. Hang on...

I like some hop/malt balance. I like hop bombs too mind.

I bet it's good, but some caramalt would improve it, for me.

...right, there's a refreshing bitterness all the way through and a hint of lemon/grapefruit. Bit of a floral nose to it too. It's getting better with age.

Try it. It's a good'un.

I like some hop/malt balance. I like hop bombs too mind.

I bet it's good, but some caramalt would improve it, for me.

Yes I know what you mean. I might try it again with 10% carapils or something. Like I say, it was a bitsa of a beer. To be honest, I just wanted to brew something which didn't need a load of dry-hopping. I'm trying to keep things simple and keeping an eye on details like mash temps etc.

I've done a similar beer and I really enjoyed it. Maris otter, centennial, cascade and US05. OG 1050ish. Different hop schedule.

Looks like I'm on the same page as you so I'll take that haha!

My recipes seem to get the bulk of the IBUs done at 60min, then a 20min to get it something like, and then the late boil additions for flavour. Just seems to work.

It's a time worn hop schedule. Bittering hops at the start, flavour addition 15-20, aroma 5 or 0. It's not the only way to do it though obviously.

Latest posts

Back