Summer Lightning AG Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeg3

Landlord.
Reaction score
A simple recipe based around the grain and hop bill for Hopback Summer Lightning

ABV: 4.8%
IBU: 31
EBC: 14.4

4.5kg Maris Otter
250g Crystal 60L

35g Challenger 90 mins
15g Goldings 10 mins

10g Gypsum added per boil to Burtonise the liquor
1 tsp Irish Moss 10 mins

13l Mash at 67 degC 90 mins
20l Sparge at 76 degC

Yeast pitched at 25 degC (Design a Brew Yeast from Hamstead Brewing Centre)
OG 1.045

Primary 3 days - rapid flocculation and the primary was also very quick
Racked into secondary 10 days. FG 1.008

Racked into KK, 30g EKG leaf added loose. Dry hopped for 4 weeks. I compared to Graham Wheeler's recipe which call for IBU 35, but opted for less bittering hops and dry hopped insted for lower IBU but more aroma. Conditioned in KK for 4 weeks.

Bottle conditioned for 6 weeks. My first attempt at bottle conditioning without using priming sugar. This was hugely successful and resulted ina smooth beer with a small, compact head and it was a delight to taste. :cheers:

If I were to brew again I would probably cut down the hops in the cask and stick to IBU 35. Wheeler knows his beer!

It also turns out that my local water is already relatively hard, so I overdid the gypsum somewhat. The early tastings gave me the trotts! It had settled out in the bottle though.

It also turns out that my local water is already relatively hard, so I overdid the gypsum somewhat. The early tastings gave me the trotts! It had settled out in the bottle though.

I've got hard water too. Does adding gypsum give you the trotts then? Better not add any if it does

I add it to all mine. I can say I have had no need to rush to the loo. This recipe sounds good. Looking at doing an English ale next. So you didn't prime with extra sugar?

Well gypsum is a natural laxative, so with hard water it probably has an effect. It did taste like a burton ale though, I just had to wait for it fully condition. It may have been a coincidence with eating something dodgy, but I don't think so. Perhaps add 5g if you have hard water. The water in Burton is very hard indeed.

Yeah, i conditioned without sugar. In my previous AG brews I added varying amounts of sugar to my ales, all of which I found too fizzy. So this time I relied on there being sufficient yeast in suspension to work on the remaining sugars to carbonate. I was sceptical but it worked a treat and I'll be doing that from now on with my ales

As far as I'm aware it's a standard all purpose dry ale yeast. I've used it in everything from bitter, stout, mild and even a wheat beer. It's been no different to S-04

Latest posts

Back