Goldings hops....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was starting to think any hop goes well with any beer but found Styrian an odd one for ale. It kept reminding me of Estrella and although I like this lagar I found it was hit and miss with the Maris and CML real as let yeast. Not sure if anyone else regretted using this hop for ale or maybe I'm just a fussy so n so

East Kent Goldings are the only hop with protective designation of origin so only ones grown in a specific area of Kent can use that title. There are several other Golding varieties including Worcester, Farnham Whitebine and Early Keyworth to name a few. The East Kent soil is mainly clay and with the salty air off the north sea make the hop unique, even different to ones grown the rest of Kent and neighboring Sussex. Styrian's, as has quite rightly been said, is derived from Fuggles and is grown in Slovenia is and was called Styrian Golding as it was hoped to be a good substitute for EK, personally I think it is a great hop on it's own. WGV is not a Golding just an abomination, the work of the devil.

East Kent Goldings are the only hop with protective designation of origin so only ones grown in a specific area of Kent can use that title. There are several other Golding varieties including Worcester, Farnham Whitebine and Early Keyworth to name a few. The East Kent soil is mainly clay and with the salty air off the north sea make the hop unique, even different to ones grown the rest of Kent and neighboring Sussex. Styrian's, as has quite rightly been said, is derived from Fuggles and is grown in Slovenia is and was called Styrian Golding as it was hoped to be a good substitute for EK, personally I think it is a great hop on it's own. WGV is not a Golding just an abomination, the work of the devil.
Mmmm
i quite like the devils work hop:mrgreen:

I'm brewing Greg Hughes Cornish Tin Miner's Ale, and it call for First Golding hops. Where do these fit in to all this?

Don't forget Brewer's Gold. One of my favourite commercial pale ales is hopped just with Brewer's Gold.

@Martybhoy1980
I think you are referring to First Gold (also known as Prima Donna) not 'First Golding' , although it is related to Whitbread Goldings according to this.
http://beerlegends.com/first-gold-hops
I use it regularly, one of my favourite hops, and I am likely to try to grow some next year, like other forumites.
Doh!

You're absolutely right. And that explains why no one had mentioned first gold in this thread!!

In the words of Buddy the Elf - I'm a cotton-headed-ninny-muggins.

Back