Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottling a wherry this weekend. Giving it 4 to 5 weeks before cracking the first one. Looking forward to this.

My Wherry is just over 6 weeks in the keg and it's a surprisingly good pint. I had severy pressure issues along the way too, which I thought would ruin it.

I've even had a couple of people taste it, to make sure I'm not using my rose-tinted specs, and they liked it too.

Half the barrel is gone already so I need to slow down before the next one is ready. Ordered St Peter's Golden Ale and Munton Gold Smuggler's Special.

I doubt it'll be many of these before the move to AG...

Last night i drank my last bottle of wherry :cry: I can't beleive its over, what a grand pint it was too! Oh well, will just have to brew another then! :thumb:

I've said this before but what a lovely beer this kit makes, really well balanced and lots of flavours. Well done Woodfordes! :cheers:

alanwh said:
dps said:
just keged my first Woodfordes Wherry og1.040 fg 1.006 drank the bit in trial jar was nice clean tast and nice and clear

Ditto, exactly the same readings :!: I did this in 5 days :shock: at a controlled 20 degrees. Wonder if the reported ones that end at 1.012 are slightly stuck ferments :?:
I must say at this early stage I am very impressed. This is my first ever kit beer that hasn't got that homebrew tang to it and that's straight out of the FV. I'll update when it's been in the bottle a few weeks.

Just supped the last bottle fortunately I have another batch just coming out of the FV finished at 1006 again. unfortunately I have to wait 4 weeks before I can enjoy some more . A lovely mild pint very tasty and certainly worth the month before drinking. Just wished I had saved a couple of bottles to try after 6 months.

Hi rather than start a new thread I hope I can ask this here.

I've just recieved my Wherry kit and the instructions look very straight forward, just wanted to check this.

It says' stir the contents of the two tins with water', then in the next step says 'add the yeast' - Should I stir it again after I've put the yeast in? :hmm:

thanks

R-9 said:
Hi rather than start a new thread I hope I can ask this here.

I've just recieved my Wherry kit and the instructions look very straight forward, just wanted to check this.

It says' stir the contents of the two tins with water', then in the next step says 'add the yeast' - Should I stir it again after I've put the yeast in? :hmm:

thanks

I think you can but I dont. Just make sure that your wort is aeriated before pitching :thumb:

Thanks alanywiseman...I'll just leave 'em to it then :geek:

R-9 said:
Thanks alanywiseman...I'll just leave 'em to it then :geek:

It's a simple and very effective kit R-9, nowt complicated to get a great end result but as with everything else patience is the key. I'm probably repeating myself but I kegged thirty pints of this and bottled the remaining ten. The keg was excellent - but the bottles.....were even better :eek: :thumb:

I have two at the back of my stash which I've left for quality control puposes :lol:

:cheers:

OG: 1040
FG: 1006
Temp: 18-20*C

We accidentally brewed short to about 21L due to reading the fermentation tub wrong :oops:

No sticking with our brew, we left in primary for about week and a half. Moved half into a secondary vessel and batch added sugar before bottling. Moved the other half into another secondary and dry hopped with Goldings.

It's been in the bottles about 4 weeks, been trying one a week. Initially it started out very bitter and (obviously) quite flat. Since then the bitterness has died down a bit and the flavours have come out. It's also got a nice bit of fizz.

Tbh, couldn't tell the dry hopped and non-dry hopped apart unless they were side by side. I think this is because we didn't use enough hops (around 10g for 10l).

Started this away yesterday with sg of 1039

This morning it has the biggest frothiest head I have produced so far. Looks like a geet big cloud in there :)

It's a simple and very effective kit R-9, nowt complicated to get a great end result

Good stuff. I will follow the instructions to a tee but will leave it in the barrel for longer before drinking. Much.

R-9 said:
It's a simple and very effective kit R-9, nowt complicated to get a great end result

Good stuff. I will follow the instructions to a tee but will leave it in the barrel for longer before drinking. Much.

One thing I can guarantee :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

.....you won't :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

;)

:cheers:

Got my Wherry on the go yesterday. It's my first brew and touch wood, so far so good!

Left the FV lid loose on one side and it looks like it's got off to a good start as there was quite a bit of yellow foam travelling down one side of the FV this morning. Luckily my girlfriend had made me put down some plastic bags to protect our carpet :whistle:

I loosened the lid just a tiny bit further and got a delicious smelling release of gas from the gap...PFFFFFFFFT

Does this sound like all's going according to plan? :hmm:

cheers!

R-9 said:
Got my Wherry on the go yesterday. It's my first brew and touch wood, so far so good!

Left the FV lid loose on one side and it looks like it's got off to a good start as there was quite a bit of yellow foam travelling down one side of the FV this morning. Luckily my girlfriend had made me put down some plastic bags to protect our carpet :whistle:

I loosened the lid just a tiny bit further and got a delicious smelling release of gas from the gap...PFFFFFFFFT

Does this sound like all's going according to plan? :hmm:

cheers!

Put mine on 3 or 4 days ago and within 24 hours it had a lovely 2 or 3 inch foamy head on it. Luckily I have the coppers FV with the extending krausen collar so no worries of escape.

Day 3 and foam reduced right down and now just a collection of bubbles in the centre. Hoping it's done it's stuff but dreading the 1020 stick I've read about.

Will probably take my first hydrometer reading after a week by regardless it will get another week so the Yeastys can clear up their mess.

Quite excited about this.

6 days up today and the Hydrometer is reading 1006. The obligatory sample sip tasted not too bad either. Not great but certainly better than my previous two brews have done at this stage.

As seems to be the done thing I will leave it for another 7 days for the yeastys to clean up and then rack and bottle.

Put this on 2 weeks ago. Fermented out to 1.014 in the first week so rack it into a secondary. SG did not drop in the next 3-4 days so crash cooled it on a wet towel for 3 days and bottled it up yesterday. Taste at the moment is lovely, slight sweetness at the start finishing with a slight hoppy bitterness. Looking forward to how this develops.

I am assuming that the higher FG than many report here is due to racking it into the secondary when I did leaving a lot of viable yeast behind. Just a thought.

Started this kit 30/04/12
Added 20litres ashbeck mineral water
OG 1.045ish
Pitched yeast at around 26C
FG around 1.015 on 19/05/12
bottled in glass bottles, some with 1tsp brewing sugar and some half a tsp.

This was my first ever two can kit, a friend swapped it for a couple of wine kits. I would not have spent the money on a two can kit I do not think, so it was just luck that I got one....so glad I did!

As soon as the worth was mixed, I instantly noticed a much nicer smell than all the single can kits I had made, really floral, I knew right away this would be a nice drink, its turned out to be a GREAT drink, and I am now going to go for more 2 can kits in the future before going AG

I did have a porblem with the fermenation getting stuck at around 1.020, I gave it a gentle stir as suggested on here, which got it going again.

I have had probably 4 bottles of this at varous stages since making it, one was after just a week in the bottle, it tasted great then... its just getting better and better. I have so far only sampled the bottles primed with 1tsp of brewing sugar...for me they are a little too fizzy, but I am not a huge fan of carbonated drinks, unless its a lager or similar.

In short, this is a great kit, I plan to do it again in the future, possibly stick it in a cornie next time to see what a difference it makes, if any. Plus that way I can drink more of it without feeling bad by looking at all the empties! :drink: :cheers:

EDIT:

19/08/12, Took a couple of these to someones house last night...it was a great drink when I had last tried it, and I was very happy with it, this time around its fantastic.

I remember sitting there thinking to myself why did I only bring two. I could have quite happily sat there and worked my way through a crate of them whilst sitting in the garden. Very very good, one I will be making again in the near future :drink:

Latest posts

Back