Serving pressure versus storage pressure.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulCa

Regular.
Reaction score
So I'm learning the ways of the keg, slowly. Presently the problem is finding the right pressure. I started with 30 psi for 2 days with one of those days in the fridge. Then I dropped it to 10psi and tried to pour a drink a few hours later and got a glass of foam that more or less was flat once it returned to liquid.

It took me a while to realise most of this was due to the serving pressure being too high. On advice I found "out there" I dumped all the pressure and opened the regulator until I got a nice liquid pour down the side of the glass with enough pressure to create a head near the end by "dribbling" it.

Looked at the CO2 pressure and it read about 2-3psi.

The question is, if I store the beer at 2-3psi will it decarbonate and go flat? When I looked up the chart for volumes of CO2 and style I got 9-10psi as the carbonating pressure.

I've taken to leaving the pressure at 10psi overnight, and dumping it when I want to pour a few beers for a few hours. Seems an awful waste of CO2.

So either I store it at 2-3psi or I will have to fit a much longer serving line. Currently it's about 6 inches long.

Oh... the fridge keeps the beer around 4-6C.

My corny's are gaed to between 20psi and 30 psi ( depending on style of the beer ) and left in a fridge for a week or so.
When it comes to serving I release the pressure to get around 3psi. Seems to work for me. I usually have 5 cornys on the go, only 3 at once can be served but I swop between them all depending on what beer I fancy. That serving pressure is left on all the time. ( regularly checking for any signs of gas leakage )

Back