Clearing wine (Wurzels Orange)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit081

Reaction score
I have tried several methods of clearing my wines over the years and I have seen a few posts relating to it in here,
I always ferment my wines with the dj's on the kitchen table in front of the radiator, when it practically stops, I then take it upstairs to the back bedroom to age and clear, this room is cold which helps the clearing priocess.

Just wanted to share a picture with you of a gallon of orange wurzels clearing, its only been upstairs for 2 days and I have never seen a wine clear from a murky appearance to so clear in the way that this is doing, usually my wines clear in stages but check out how it is going from murky to crystal in one stage, This wurzels wine is awesome.

12012010365.jpg

12012010366.jpg

So I suppose the moral of this thread, is just look what moving the wine to a cold environment can do for the clearing process.

Wurzels clears up nice don't it :D

This was after 2 weeks, though I did add a little vin clear....

Hi amadeus, it does indeed, I usually use it too but im not in a rush for this one as I still got a couple of gallons in bottles, thought id let this one go on its own.

Cant quite put my finger on what the slight yeasty taste is tho, sounds dull I know as its probably yeats lol

a bit of help on this guys my ones arent clearing that well.

Added vin clear for a heavy clearing as told to do so on bottle but its been clearing for 2 weeks now and still very cloudy.

Im afraid i didnt see the bit about racking the wurzel till now is this still a good idea and if its not been racked what effect will that have had?

Jock

Hi Jock, dood did you use pectolase in the mix, it sounds like a pectin Haze you have got there my man, If you did use pectolase you may find that racking it will help, if you rack the must off the lees at the bottom of the demi John, it changes the density of the must and allows more of the suspended **** to sink. MIght also help to try to put it somewhere cool. Have you stabilised the must since it stopped fermenting, it may still be going just very slowly.

If you have done al of the above just leave it dood, I have had some take weeks to clear, the less you do with it the better tio be honest, but definately rack it mate.

yes I did use pectolase so racking I will be doing lol. And yes i used CT and a stabiliser as well.

cheers mate

Jock

In my last lot I used a bit of gelatine in a little hot water then placed it in a fridge. I then racked it, worked a treat :thumb:.

:cheers:

AG

Back