London Pride

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clibit

Reaction score
London Pride
English Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 10.0
Total Grain (kg): 2.220
Total Hops (g): 21.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (°P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.81 %
Colour (SRM): 15.4 (EBC): 30.3
Bitterness (IBU): 32.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (90.09%)
0.200 kg Crystal 80 (9.01%)
0.020 kg Black Malt (0.9%)

Hop Bill
----------------
7.0 g Admiral Leaf (14.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
7.0 g Challenger Leaf (8.9% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
7.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.6 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with WLP002 - English Ale

This needs to come back to the top. It's become a staple of mine now! Brewed it previously without the 1% black malt, but it makes this brew such a better finished product with it in the mash. Needs time to condition properly but it's worth it.

Dave

Try it with WLP002 or wyeast 1968. Even better, if you can manage the temperature reasonably well.

Yes I do think it's time a started using liquid yeasts. Especially if this brew is a regular and I can reuse it.

It's really worth it IMO. I'm still getting used to liquid yeasts myself, learning about yeast and fermentation is probably the main key to brewing. You can make great beer using a dried yeast like SO4, 05 or Nottingham, but the best beers are made by brewers who use a really good yeast strain and know how to get the best from it. Pitching rates, harvesting, yeast starters, fermentation temperature etc. I've got a long way to go still, I need more experience, and a brew fridge! But having focused so far on trying grains and hops and recipe creation, I know I want to find the yeasts that suit me best and learn how to manage them well. I am leaving my teaching job next month and intend to brew more, upgrade my gear a bit, and yeast will be my main focus now.

That's pretty much where I am at the minute. I have a good method of brewing and a couple of good recipes I really enjoy enough to make full length batches. So like you say, it's probably time to explore the world of starters and pitching rates. It'd be great I hear how you get on once you start brewing a bit more.

Dave

Depending how things work out work wise, I'm thinking of starting a blog, if time allows.

Always good to swap notes and experience. I've got to the point where I know what I'm doing, I know what like interns of beer styles and characteristocs, hops and grain, I've used quite a few yeasts, I just want to find a small number of yeasts, perhaps just one main yeadt, that does,exactly what I want, and learn how to get the best from it and harvest it effectively etc.

So I'll be doing some yeast trials with split batches. I know which wyeast and white labs I want to try in addition to those ive used, but also intend to get mu hands on some brewery yeasts. Marble brewery for one, be good to get ideas for others.

Would you culture some up from bottle dregs? There was a fair bit at the bottom of my St Austell's Proper Job last night. I was tempted to put a cap back on the bottle after I had poured it. I know Marble bottle condition theirs too. They might use a lager yeast to condition it though so you might not really know what you're getting.

I'll give that a go. But I drink in the Marble Beerhouse and may get some there. Or visit the brewery.

Jobs a good'un then! I might try that at the Adnams brewery when I'm in Southwold in January. Fingers crossed they'll be open to the idea.

Latest posts

Back