Pressure Barrel - Barrel Tap leakage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rincon

Reaction score
Hi everyone

So first attempt at using a pressure barrel, i know its just a budget one but wanted to try it.

I have a barrel tap on it and the tap is very slowly leaking, not at the seal but dripping out of the tap. It was put in last night, no drips this morning when i got up but its dripping now

So i have a few questions,

Is there anything i can do? Ive tried tightening etc but its still dripping.
At the moment Ive laid the barrel on its side, now I guess im still losing gas because if the liquid can get out the gas must be also getting out - but is this ok on its side and just keep topping up with gas till Christmas then put it the right way up a few days before drinking?
Ideally I was hoping it would last till Christmas week - any chance of this?
I guess moving it to bottles is now out of the question?
Shall i just drink it all tonight rather than waste it? (might need a hand as its 23l)

cheers

If its only a few drips I wouldn't worry to much. My PB tap drips a bit and so I use a drip tray underneath.
However if its more first check that the tap handle is at 90* from the barrel not pushed right round until it can go no further. Tap closed position is supposed to be at 90*.
Second try opening tap as far as you dare for a brief moment - look out for splashing (use a bucket??)- sometimes this reseats the tap.
Third what sort of pressure have you got in your PB? If 1 and 2 above fail you could try releasing a little gas pressure from the PB by opening tap whilst on its side to see if that reduces/ stops drips.
Other than that there is not a lot you can do other than replace the valve unless anyone out there has got another solution that works

As Terry eluded to, you've probably just got too much pressure in there rather than there being anything wrong with the tap. Try drawing a pint or two off, that should fix it.

And nothing wrong with it being a budget barrel, I find them more reliable than the expensive ones. Just takes a bit of getting used to.

Is it one of the cheap 180° rotary taps like this ?
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...bJAhUHORoKHZOsCz0QMwgjKAMwAw&biw=1360&bih=627

If so, when you rotate it, you can see the opening.
Make sure that the oval opening is 180° to the outlet port.
This would normally result in the tap being square on at 90°
Rotating the valve more than this can result in the two holes being closer togther, so resulting in less surface area.

You only barrelled this yesterday so the secondary fermentation will have only just started to lift the pressure, I have read that the taps on budget barrels can drip a little as pressure builds but then seem to stop of their own accord, I guess the sticky wort in the tap leak dries out and seals the leak/tap.

Keep an eye on it for a couple of days, if it continues to drip or gets worse, then pop back here for advice. Try not to worry about it, is very unlikely to ruin your beer.

Is it one of the cheap 180° rotary taps like this ?
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...bJAhUHORoKHZOsCz0QMwgjKAMwAw&biw=1360&bih=627

If so, when you rotate it, you can see the opening.
Make sure that the oval opening is 180° to the outlet port.
This would normally result in the tap being square on at 90°
Rotating the valve more than this can result in the two holes being closer togther, so resulting in less surface area.

maybe its not a barrel tap as its more like this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...hWFtxQKHRlbAMEQ_AUICCgD#imgrc=ENhg61WgaPpMaM:

Which means you can get your hand in the barrel ? As you dont see these on budget barrels as it has a nut on the inside,IMO they are still poor taps change it to a sparkler tap anyway they are a lot better

As Terry eluded to, you've probably just got too much pressure in there rather than there being anything wrong with the tap. Try drawing a pint or two off, that should fix it.

And nothing wrong with it being a budget barrel, I find them more reliable than the expensive ones. Just takes a bit of getting used to.

thats good to know, only thing is i wish i could get my hand in the top, not sure even my kids could get their hand in a 2in hole, plus if they got their hands stuck it would make for an embarrassing trip to A and E

thanks everyone!

I'll see what happens, its not dripping bad, just seems a shame to let all my hard work drip onto the counter - or a drip try.

I like the look of the King Kegs but no idea what they are like? Just like the idea that I could get my hand in if needed.

I like the look of the sparkler tap - think thats whats on my hotwater urns

Anyways - thanks everyone

When I need another keg I will buy one of these:
http://www.balliihoo.co.uk/balliiho...2-injection-valve-pressure-indicator-p-4.html

I have replaced my 2 king keg lids for the balliihoo ones, far superior - pressure gauge fitted so you can check the keg is pressuring up after priming (so you know the seal is good) and the lid comes with a square section rubber seal which is more reliable, easier to get a good seal than the round section lid seals on the king keg ones.
The above kegs come with this superior lid and are top tap like the top tap king kegs.

Anyway, good luck with your current brew, hope the drip leak settles down.

The point I was making was that if you can't get your hand in the barrel the tap solely relys on its own thread to tighten it against the rubber washer on the outside and I've never seen those taps you highlighted fitted to a budget as the nut on them goes on the inside and are usually fitted to king kegs

Rincon, you could get a replacement tap, release the pressure from the barrel and turn the barrel on its side (you might need an extra pair of hands), then remove the leaking tap. Fit the sanitised new tap, but don't overtightened. When everything has been nipped up move to a warm place for a week to allow the pressure to return to the barrel. I have had a quite a few problems with the Wilco budget barrels and have replaced the taps with a Young's tap which did the trick..:thumb:

I've got a youngs pressure barrel and it drips from the tap. It's a common problem. As I put it in the airing cupboard to pressure up I sit it in a roasting tray to catch the drips. Then when I put it somewhere cool to condition I just have an empty yoghurt pot under the tap to catch it. It rarely amounts to a great deal. They always drip after you've taken a pint out anyway...

The point I was making was that if you can't get your hand in the barrel the tap solely relys on its own thread to tighten it against the rubber washer on the outside and I've never seen those taps you highlighted fitted to a budget as the nut on them goes on the inside and are usually fitted to king kegs

the barrel i have has a good inch of thread so although i cant get a nut the other side i do have quite a bit of thread built into the barrel.

I'll give it a go adn if it doesnt work I'll re think for next time, I just like the idea of having a barrel on the go as its a lot easier to rinse than 40 bottles haha

When I need another keg I will buy one of these:
http://www.balliihoo.co.uk/balliiho...2-injection-valve-pressure-indicator-p-4.html

I have replaced my 2 king keg lids for the balliihoo ones, far superior - pressure gauge fitted so you can check the keg is pressuring up after priming (so you know the seal is good) and the lid comes with a square section rubber seal which is more reliable, easier to get a good seal than the round section lid seals on the king keg ones.
The above kegs come with this superior lid and are top tap like the top tap king kegs.

Anyway, good luck with your current brew, hope the drip leak settles down.

now thats a good looking barrel - might have to sneak that on the crimbo list!

now thats a good looking barrel - might have to sneak that on the crimbo list!

About the same cost as a King Keg, give or take and the lids are far superior.

Balliihoo do free shipping over £60 so clearly worth adding something (anything) to your cart prior to checking out with the £59.99 keg !

Or go for the same keg with bulb holder and pack of CO2 bulbs for £66.49

Back