Muntons Cab Sav - 6 bottle kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDog

Regular.
Reaction score
I don't normally buy kits, but me and me mate Richy ( @richytrue ) and I picked up a few of these in the Tesco sale the other week.

It's not quite ready yet, but it better be good as it's caused me no end of problems with foaming over. Even at the 2/3 full DJ stage, it blew through the airlock about 6 or 7 times, and splattered my airing cupboard walls and floor with red foam and got me in bother with the Mrs. Had to leave it in the bath for a few days at one point.. Absolute nightmare.

Will update again when it's ready - I've read some good reviews of this kit so am quite hopeful. And it was £5.

I don't normally buy kits, but me and me mate Richy ( @richytrue ) and I picked up a few of these in the Tesco sale the other week.

It's not quite ready yet, but it better be good as it's caused me no end of problems with foaming over. Even at the 2/3 full DJ stage, it blew through the airlock about 6 or 7 times, and splattered my airing cupboard walls and floor with red foam and got me in bother with the Mrs. Had to leave it in the bath for a few days at one point.. Absolute nightmare.

Will update again when it's ready - I've read some good reviews of this kit so am quite hopeful. And it was ��£5.

Spent all weekend in my bath these bad lads. Just started another batch 2 days ago and already there's about an inch of foam on the top even before I think of topping up so I expect the same again. It's sitting beside 2 Youngs Definitives (black cherry & apricot) that the dog mentions in another post which was set away at the same time and these have no froth at all.

made 04/03/17
finished 17/03/17

No bubbles in DJ1, measured SG , and it's 0.998. Still a bubble every 2 minutes or so in DJ2, SG = 0.994. (I know, this doesn't make sense)

Had a sip of the trial Jar, both are dry as a bone, and fizzier than pepsi so I ignored the instructions on gentle swirling, and racked , degassed properly, and THEN added the stabiliser and finings back in a clean DJ. The original DJ was manky off the froth erruption, so no way I'd want to clear in there as per the instructions.

I don't think this is going to be drinkable for a month or so @richytrue , very harsh with the tang of new wine that I didn't get with the blackcherry

I brew Beaverdale 'Nebbiolo' and have done since when it was called Barolla, never had a bad brew yet, tastes fantastic, my wife and family love it,,,,
To Gdog and richytrue, sounds to me that you are brewing at too high a temperature , just saying

I brew Beaverdale 'Nebbiolo' and have done since when it was called Barolla, never had a bad brew yet, tastes fantastic, my wife and family love it,,,,
To Gdog and richytrue, sounds to me that you are brewing at too high a temperature , just saying

I've heard good things about the CC Nebbiolo, I wonder if the Beaverdale is similar. Both brands seam to be in a similar price range so similar juice quantities perhaps.. Do you do 30 bottlers, or just a gallon?

My airing cupboard holds all my brews, and this has never happened before, it's 22-24 degrees so yes a tad warm.

Rich's is behind his sofa, so 20 degrees ish, and also went like mount versuvious so I think it could be the yeast

Yeah, I'm a bit of a newbie but I've completed 8 kits with another 6 brewing and I've only had this happen with the Muntons (the other brands were Youngs and Wilkos ). All brewed in the same manner, same place and same temperature.

bottled the last 5 litre PET of this last night, and tried a bottle - it went down the sink.

Overly sweet and artificial

Latest posts

Back