Electric Keggle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_jon_

Regular.
Reaction score
So, as my quest for the perfect electric boiler progresses... I've been careful to make sure that the rest of my brewery equipment is suitable for a 40L brew. I don't actually intend on doing a 40L brew.. but I thought when buying things, why not make sure there's room for expansion, and pay the extra little bit now... over buying again in the future.

I did this originally with my kettle pot, I have a 70L kettle pot... it's just a nightmare in the winter as I have to use it outside. In the summer, it'll be great! Chilling outside, making a nice beer and drinking cold ones. But in the winter I struggle to get a boil on 30+L with a 7KW Gas Burner! Just too cold and windy outside.

This coupled with the fact that all of the stock electric boilers, (Brupac, Burco, Buffalo etc) just seem too small! I'm not saying that I need a 50L electric boil kettle (although that would be nice)... I can save my big brews for the summer and do them on the pot.

But the Keggle's seem really sturdy and really good quality! And I've seen loads of people have converted them to electric. This seems like a great idea. But... I am useless with DIY! I have barely any tools! I work in IT!! The only thing I'm good with in my hands is a keyboard (well..... haha, you know what I mean). So... does anywhere sell pre converted keggles? I would even consider paying a company to fabricate me something if needed... Happy to pay a little more, and get what I want... rather than keep buying things which aren't suitable.

BTW, anyone know what the volume of a keggle is? They look pretty big.. but maybe I'm missing that they're only 30L themselves lol.

That looks like an interesting site.. thanks, I'll take a read.

I don't get a roaring flame out of my 7KW Burner, and that's with a 13kg Calor Gas bottle, so it's getting plenty of juice. It takes about 2 hours to get 35L of water to an almost boil. I never actually get a rolling boil (well I say that, I probably would if I left it all day!) - Let's just say there's NO chance of a boil over.

I can get the wort to about 99-101c.. which because of the sugar content, doesn't mean an aggressive or even rolling boil. I'm sure it'll be okay in the summer. But it's tough at the moment for sure.

I've not considered induction. By that do you mean an induction pot and hob? Don't you have to have a special pot for that? Or am I confusing what you mean for something else?

I've found that malt-miller have Keggles for £100.. but they're not modded for electric.

I'm really pants at DIY and if I try to fit elements, I'll likely blow myself up and/or the house! Really hoping there's a place I can buy one of these per-modded. Failing that, I might have to buy the one from malt-miller and then pay someone to mod it for me.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!
Why not convert your 70 litre pot rather than splash a ton on a keggle?
You can get a 4.5 kW element on Amazon for a tenner - one should be enough. If you want more power fit a secondary element at a couple of kilowatts.
If you are kack-handed at DIY there's bound to be a member close to you willing to lend a hand.

Well... there's something I didn't consider! That's not a bad thought.

I happened to just see another threat, and go really excited to see this:

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Stainless-Steel-56-Ltr-Electric-Boiler.html

But this is essentially what I've already got.

I like the idea of converting the one I have already. It wasn't cheap so it'd be a shame to see if go to waste.

Are the elements hard to fit?

If there are any members near Devon with experience of this, it'd be great (and worth several beers) to get some advice.

I have the brupaks plastic boiler I purchased from a member here, which unfortunately got trashed by over-enthusiastic couriers. But the element is only 2kW. Probably won't be enough for a 70L pot. Which is a shame.. maybe it would work out well as a secondary.

This 5.5kW as a primary would do the trick?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DXGSEB4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Which element would you recommend for the main element? I think I can handle drilling a round hole, but certainly not those funky shaped ones for the washing machine element!! I'm like Frank Spencer! :lol:

Do you know if they need any kind of temp control? Or do you just wire them up directly to the mains and flick the power off when it gets too hot? Or plug it into an inkbird and just the temp probe?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no electrician, but I'm pretty sure you cant attach a 5.5kw element to a 3 pin plug and put it in a standard socket? I had an electrician put in a dedicated supply for my kettle. I use 2 x 2.5kw elements in my home made boiler.

Based on my extreme lack of knowledge, my complete cack-handidness, and my over all fear of electricity in general. And because I like my house, not so keen on a huge pile of ash... I've caved in. I'm going to buy these two items:

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Stainless-Steel-56-Ltr-Electric-Boiler.html
https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.u...ual-Temperature-Controller-71142.html#SID=180

I called the company and spoke to a chap who was very helpful. He told me to be wary of two elements, because running both at the same time can cause problems in the house with regards to electrics. My electrics are brand new, and I really don't want to cause any problems with it. He said that the 1 x 2.4KW element will boil ~30L in about 45 mins. Which is an hour quicker than I was doing it with my gas boiler.

I explained to him that I have an Inkbird, and he said that the Mangrove Jack is what they use.. but they're the same. I want to keep my Inkbird free for if I need it for my fridge, and frankly I liked the guy on the phone.

I don't mind spending money to get what I need/want, and am not a fan of any kind of DIY. For under £200 I can get exactly what I need by the end of the week.

Anyone need a 70L boil pot? :lol: :lol:

Hi!
A temperature controller like the Inkbird will be less than helpful for maintaining a boil. It operates by shutting off the power when the assigned temperature is reached. You do not want the element to be switched off during the boil.
I'm surprised that a 7 kW gas burner can not maintain a rolling boil.

Oh... Hmm, that's annoying. I thought I'd be able to use it to stop the boil being too rough.. but I suppose it's not going to go crazy at only 2.4KW.

Not sure what I'm going to use my shiny new temperature controller for then lol

I'm surprised that a 7 kW gas burner can not maintain a rolling boil.

I was surprised also. I don't get a roaring blue flame from it. It just seems to be a yellow flickery flame... a pretty big one at that, but it's the kind of flame that just causes an enormous amount of soot. Which goes everywhere and is very annoying. Maybe I have a defective burner... or maybe my Calor Bottle doesn't supply enough pressure.. but it's a 13KG Bottle.

I don't get a roaring blue flame from it. It just seems to be a yellow flickery flame...
Hi!
I don't use a propane burner, but a quick Google suggests that there isn't enough air in the mix. There should be an adjustable collar on the "arm" of the burner. This moves forward and back to balance the gas/air to get a fierce blue flame. Think about the Bunsen burner from school science lessons.
http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55990

I have played with the air collar a lot, no combination seems to sort it. I'll use it again in the summer... when the weather is nicer to play around with it for longer. For now the electric one will do just what I need :)

Oh... Hmm, that's annoying. I thought I'd be able to use it to stop the boil being too rough.. but I suppose it's not going to go crazy at only 2.4KW.

Not sure what I'm going to use my shiny new temperature controller for then lol

2.4KW will be fine for a rolling boil just plugged in to the mains, you may find the controller useful for heating water in an HLT for mash and sparge water, that’s what I use my Inkbird for.

One thing to be wary of is that mangrove Jacks controller is basically an stc 1000. And is only rated at 10Amps @250volt
Your 2400w element will pull 10amps at 240v it will probably work but not for long.

One thing to be wary of is that mangrove Jacks controller is basically an stc 1000. And is only rated at 10Amps @250volt
Your 2400w element will pull 10amps at 240v it will probably work but not for long.

I sense I may have been a victim of a salesman's gib! Ah well, I've got another temp controller for something now! Maybe I can find a use for it.

Back