Greetings from US

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CX500T

Reaction score
I'm an American who is often in Europe and the Middle East for work.

I was initially turned on to Cask Ale by a Royal Navy officer who was an exchange pilot in my squadron years ago. Went a long time without it until I was working in Scotland in 2012, and have my own pin cask and recently bought an Angram CQ Beer Engine that I am working on setting up.

I was asking some Cask specific questions on a US Forum and I was directed over here, as Cask/Real Ale is more common in the UK than the USA.

Brewing wise, I have a 3 vessel electric system I built, one stainless conical that uses my freezer as a cold glycol source, and a three tap kegerator.

I brew a smattering of beers, most commonly Pale Ales, ESB and Porter, and have been recently experimenting with Lagers since I am often on the road for months at a shot, and now have temperature control.

I do have a couple porters.

Generic Unnamed Porter. This was when I was still doing extract and bottling. It bottle carbed a bit on the low side, but had excellent flavor.
The units are all Imperial, so you would need to convert. It is for a five US Gallon finished batch.

Steeping Grains (30 min at 155F)
1 pound Caramel (60L)
10 oz Chocolate Malt

Boil
7 pounds Golden Light LME (Breiss)
1/2 pound Maltodextrin

60 minute boil
2 oz Fuggles at begin of boil
1/2 oz Fuggles at 15:00 to go

Fermentation
White Labs WLP 002 English Ale Yeast. Was just done in a closet with a bucket in winter. Temperature averaged 67F

Next up, I just brewed this in September, and only had one pint before I went overseas for 2 months.

Fat Dog Porter (named after my German Shepherd, who is nicknamed Fat Dog. As opposed to Skinny Dog, the Doberman)

8.5 pounds 2 Row Malt (1.7 SRM)
1 pound White Wheat Malt (2.3 SRM)
12 oz Chocolate Malt (350 SRM)
8 oz Carapils
8 oz Crystal 75
4 oz Black (Patent) malt (500 SRM)

10 minute Protien Rest at 130 F
About 15 minute rise to 156 for a 60 minute mash
10 minute rise to 168 for a 10 minute mash out

Fly sparge until 8.5 gallons collected. 1.045 Pre Boil SG

60 minute boil
Hop Schedule (minutes are time to go, not time elapsed)
0.75 oz Nugget @ 60
0.25 oz Cascade @ 30
0.25 oz Tettnang @ 15
Whirlfloc tablet @ 15

WLP 002 English Ale Yeast
Temperature Controlled Fermenter at 63F until Gravity Stable

Latest posts

Back