12th/13th Jan - Thirst Gold / Gold Rush

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyv

Regular.
Reaction score
My take on Wez's Thirst Gold, which I've named Gold Rush. Second time I've brewed this (in fact it's the first AG beer I've brewed twice). I love First Gold and I love the fact I can use a whole packet of hops in one brew so no need to worry about later storage - and the grain bill is very simple.

Dedicated to my Nan who sadly passed away recently.

I'm mashing/sparging this evening and boiling tomorrow morning. Mash at 65 degrees, batch sparging at 76 degrees.

Reduced from 50l to 23l, 70% efficiency (here's hoping anyway), 2 hour boil (depending on evaporation).

OG: 1.050
IBU: 40

Grist
5.00kg Pale Malt
0.15kg Crystal Malt

Hops - 7.5% AA
First Gold 20g FWH - 120 min
First Gold 50g - 15 mins
First Gold 50g - 80 degree flame-out

No pics - soz :oops:

Have a good one JV, sorry to hear about the loss of your Nan.

PS. It's just reminded me I have a bottle to post you still :oops:

Thanks Wez.

No worries about the bottle - Harvest Gold wasn't it? Whenever you're next at the post office ;)

Disaster struck!

I was filling the mash tun for the first batch sparge - figured I'd give the boiler a quick rinse then to hear a spilling of water noise behind me :shock: :oops:

Desperately looking around to find out which tap I'd left open - only to see the mash tun spilling everywhere :shock:

Bugger. Lost a few litres and now have a very sticky kitchen floor :(

Fortunately SWMBOs in the other room, none-the-wise at the moment. Argh - she might realise something's up when she sees the sweaty state of me, having frantically tried to mop the floor.

I'm renaming this beer, 'Blood, Sweat & Tears'.

until the soles of her shoes stick to the floor as she walks into the kitchen to check "how things are" :lol:

I'm safe - floor is mopped - no velco effect and swmbos not been in yet :D

30 odd litres of wort waiting to be boiled tomorrow. Let's hope that goes a bit better :pray:

Just some mash tun clearing up to do.

good stuff :cool:

why is it that a brewday is so much more fun when there's more danger involved :D

Indeed - it's the danger of the angry missus, not the danger from the hot/boiling wort spilling everwhere that really makes a good brewday ;)

Glad to hear that it's just not me that has disaster's on Brew Days !! I left the tap open on the FV when transferring the wort from the copper on my last brew and flooded the Utility Room ..What a sticky Mess..What a Waist..What Earache I got from SWMBO :( :( :(

That's why I try to brew when she's not around - saves all the hassles if I have a disaster ;)

My wlp002 yeast-split didn't start fermenting at all. Had to whack in some SO4 to get this fermenting - it's happy now. Hopefully will turn out as good as the last batch :pray:

Latest posts

Back