Coffee filter pads

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awalton007

Reaction score
Does anyone use these to filter ur brews. If so what do u think. Cos they are much cheaper than the filter systems

They are a pain as they clog up easily, and need more liqiud on top to push the liquid in the filter through. This is just my experience from making Skittle vodka where you need to filter out the dissolved Skittles, and may work slightly better for wines.

Having said that, I was bottling up 7 DJs the other week, after the 3rd one I gave up filtering as it was taking far too long to do. That was with the Harris wine filter kit.

I guess coffee filters may have a use if you were filtering (for example) a bottle of sloe gin, but other than that, forget it.
stevie1556 said:
I was bottling up 7 DJs the other week, after the 3rd one I gave up filtering as it was taking far too long to do. That was with the Harris wine filter kit.
Can't have been properly cleared then, I tend to make juice wines in 15 litre batches and would always expect to get 30 litres (6.66 gal) through one filter pad, and sometimes 45l (10 gal).

The big commercial filters are relatively good if slow, the real issue is the amount of oxidation that can take place while the filtering is happening . . . Of course as generally you add a campden table following the transfer this will act to mop up some of the oxidation

The Melita/supermarket ones are total ****

I think they were properly cleared, and were going through the filter unit, but as I had work to do in the afternoon (trying to set up my own business) it was quicker not to use the filter I found.

However, on my previous batch of wines there was definitely a noticeable difference and shine to them after I filtered them. When I bottle my next batch I'll make sure I do it on a day when I have time to filter them.

I used coffee filters to filter my limoncello, at the weekend, and to start with they worked well, but half way through they started clogging up something terrible, and I had to leave them for a half hour each time, and then change them, in the end I used a plastic filter from the coffee machine (that I'd sterilised, and washed to remove the coffee taste), and that could be easily rinsed and re-used.

I have a wine filter system, that I inherited, but have never used yet.

Latest posts

Back