My first brew, a slight adjustment to WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baido

Reaction score
Finally got round to making my first brew. I was going to do a straightforward WOW but I've decided that given what I have in the house, I'm going to try something similar but with red grape juice and summer fruit juice (including orange) instead of white grape juice and orange juice.

The summer fruit juice is Don Simon (not from concentrate) grape (red 60%),strawberry pure (20%), and orange juice (20%). Whilst the red grape juice is Lidl's NOT from concentrate one.

I'm going to use 4 litres of juice in total to make up 6.5 litres of wine because I'll be using a recycled Sci-MX Diet shake container with a hole drilled in the top (HDPE plastic) as a makeshift cross between a fermenting bucket and a doubled sized demijohn.

I don't have a drill so a friend drilled a hole in the top but it's only big enough to fit the airlock in and not the bung. It's pretty tight though so I imagine with the addition of some sterelised bluetack around it, it should be ok. What do you think?

How much sugar do you think I should use? The only yeast I have too is super wine yeast from Holland and Barrett, which is probably a bit good for what I'm making but it was on special offer around Christmas so couldn't resist.

Lastly, can't control the temperature in here very well, so will probably go below 10 degrees occasionally. Is this a big problem?

Summer fruits juice sounds good, I haven't seen that one before.

4 litres is unnecessary and won't add anything to the wine, 3 is quite sufficient, perhaps 1 RGJ + 2 summer fruits as that is fairly high in grape anyway.

Baido said:
I don't have a drill so a friend drilled a hole in the top but it's only big enough to fit the airlock in and not the bung. It's pretty tight though so I imagine with the addition of some sterelised bluetack around it, it should be ok. What do you think?
If the hole is slightly smaller than the shank of the airlock you probably won't need the blu-tack. I don't use any bungs or grommets, just push the airlock into the plastic.

To get an OG of 1.090 and something like a 13% abv wine you need 250g sugar in the litre.
6.5 x 250 = 1,625g total.
If you use 3 litres of juice, that probably contains around 450g of sugar, so you need to add 1,175g
Baido said:
Lastly, can't control the temperature in here very well, so will probably go below 10 degrees occasionally. Is this a big problem?
Yes. Get yourself a big bucket, half fill it with water, stand your fermenter in that and drop a small aquarium heater into the water bath. You can get one for around a tenner. 50 watt is plenty big enough.

Most wine yeasts are happiest around 20°C but fermentation times pretty much double for every 2°C drop.

So if it takes a week at 20°C that's a fortnight at 18°C and a month at 16°C.

Below 16°C the yeasties will simply go to sleep.

Latest posts

Back