Dead Rose English IPA (similarly based on Greg hughes)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on Englands outcome on saturday It was going to bed Red rose or Dead rose... There we have it..

Brewed the IPA based on Greg Hughes I have made some slight changes though.

5.8kg MO
150gram Medium Crystal

60 grams challenger 60mins
35 grams EKG 15 mins
35 grams EKG 0mins

I used a Wyeast London Ale liquid yeast which I did a starter with 120gram DME on Friday

I also wondered about doing possibly a little dry hop with a blend of challenger and EKG in a few weeks but will see how it goes.

I cooled teh wort down to 28 but had to nip out so dumped it in my fermenter and left it outside in the shade to cool down..

Since I now brew outside I am more paranoid about being more open and leaving it to cool down a bit wasn't ideal but I dumped the starter in at 24ºc and left it where it was cool later on when it was 22ºc within 4 hours it was starting to krausen up and its now 20ºc.

Should be good the wort tasted good, I think def making a starter is good to get them off quickly.

OG was 1060 a touch higher than brewmate said but a few points here and there

Any thoughts on adding some challenger to a dry hop? or just leave it and see what the fermented wort tastes like?

I used a microwave stand in the bottom of my pot which allowed me to mash with the bag on top and I just kept the grains in when I raised the temp to 76 for a bit stirred then removed

I done a very similar recipe, also based on Greg Hughes'

5kg Maris Otter
125g Crystal

Challenger 70g 70 mins
Goldings 35g 15 mins
Goldings 35g 0 mins

Nottingham Yeast

I'm not usually an English IPA fan but this turned out to be really nice, not too fruity or spicy but plenty of hop flavour.

I looked at it a while back and Tony here tried it and liked it

I also decided to give liquid yeast a try here so will be interested in how that turns out..

I plan to nick some trub after bottling and reuse it with an English pale ale which I actually have taken a similar recipe to clibits brithop.

Its down to 1017 now which was what what predicted so bang on. I stuck it outside in the shade to chill and will keep in the conservatory overnight to crash a little, with all those hops there was quite a lot of debris in there (3 inches nearly) so I gathered I will try and compact it down. Then on friday maybe I will bring it back in the warm and possibly give it a little dry hop of EKG and maybe some challenger for a few days before bottling next week.

decided to get 20grams EKG and 10grams challenger and put in a sanitised muslin bag poured some boiling water over let sit for 5 mins cooled a touch and dumped in fermenter.. hopefully will add a little more aroma..

Latest posts

Back