English IPA from Greg Hughes Page 131.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Wyeast 1187 is known to leave some sweetness in the beer, and a lot of people love that yeast. I've not used it yet.

How long did it have in the bottle mate?
Also, isn't 10:55 a bit early for a beer?!

My fault, but when I posted at 1055 'just started drinking this', I don't mean 'today', I mean last night.... :) I am heading out in about half an hour with my eldest son to sample some ales from a micro brewery down near the River Tyne. It is the grand opening or something, but it is in its very earliest days. They seem to have just started. Should be interesting.... Is 1300hrs OK for a beer? :) If it is any good I'll buy a crate just to express my solidarity with a new enterprise.

The Hughes IPA (page 132 I think) was in the bottle about 38 days. Really nice.

The Wyeast 1187 is known to leave some sweetness in the beer, and a lot of people love that yeast. I've not used it yet.

Hi Clibit... I didn't use the Wyeast, i used US05 from Fermentis. That was one of my adaptations (meddlings?) with the Hughes recipe. It went from 1062 to 1012 and stopped dead. Those two points were enough to give it the sweetness I really like.

My fault, but when I posted at 1055 'just started drinking this', I don't mean 'today', I mean last night.... :) I am heading out in about half an hour with my eldest son to sample some ales from a micro brewery down near the River Tyne. It is the grand opening or something, but it is in its very earliest days. They seem to have just started. Should be interesting.... Is 1300hrs OK for a beer? :) If it is any good I'll buy a crate just to express my solidarity with a new enterprise.

The Hughes IPA (page 132 I think) was in the bottle about 38 days.

Ah ok, good to know.

Hehe! Only joking fella, 1pm is a bit late for me..!

The Hughes IPA (page 132 I think) was in the bottle about 38 days. Really nice.

Hi Clibit... I didn't use the Wyeast, i used US05 from Fermentis. That was one of my adaptations (meddlings?) with the Hughes recipe. It went from 1062 to 1012 and stopped dead. Those two points were enough to give it the sweetness I really like.

Wheres that at Tony (the brewery)

Wheres that at Tony (the brewery)

https://www.facebook.com/newcastlebrewing

It is on Albion Row near the river Steve. Just waiting for the lad to arrive and I'm off down there to see what it is like. If the opportunity arises I might offer to come and help out dragging stuff about just to get the experience of working in a brewery.

Your going to a micro brewery in an art gallery?

Hipster! :tongue:

Us Northeners do it in style :tongue:

:)

Quite nice beers. Bought 4 of the Newcastle IPA - an American IPA in fact.

None of the beers were as good as my best ones.

It isn't really a micro Brewery as much as a pico brewery. They have a 50l Braumaester and do 300 bottles a week. They have even hired an industrial unit - as it happens the exact same one my son started his business in. The beer is fine, not great, but then I am comparing it with my best. In fact they only began any brewing in February - using canned kits and quickly decided this was something they wanted to do in a bigger way. I think they will likely succeed. They have what is the essential thing to make a business work - they know about marketing and are very personable people. In this as well as any business, they key attribute needed for success is the ability to sell it.

Anyway - I have wormed my way into an invitation to go down and join them on a brew day. It will be good to see the Braumaester in operation.

:)

Quite nice beers. Bought 4 of the Newcastle IPA - an American IPA in fact.

None of the beers were as good as my best ones.

It isn't really a micro Brewery as much as a pico brewery. They have a 50l Braumaester and do 300 bottles a week. They have even hired an industrial unit - as it happens the exact same one my son started his business in. The beer is fine, not great, but then I am comparing it with my best. In fact they only began any brewing in February - using canned kits and quickly decided this was something they wanted to do in a bigger way. I think they will likely succeed. They have what is the essential thing to make a business work - they know about marketing and are very personable people. In this as well as any business, they key attribute needed for success is the ability to sell it.

Anyway - I have wormed my way into an invitation to go down and join them on a brew day. It will be good to see the Braumaester in operation.

Great stuff Tony! ive recently started working in blaydon, guess whats 2 factories down from us? you guessed correct a brewery its called Fire Brick Brewery, i have sampled a few of his ales now there awesome the guys a nice chap hes called Alistair hes a link to his site if you fancy a look

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...y.com/&usg=AFQjCNH_w_Pp_zWpRmTRTS176G01_CP7fQ

Latest posts

Back