The best way?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffle-Valve

Reaction score
What's the best way to clean the insides out on these.
I don't know when they last had any fluids in them, so I don't want to make myself ill.
I'd like to use them for water when camping.

2015-11-28%2013.05.15.jpg

Don't bleach them (don't you love a consensus). Mine went funky and I put bleach in them for a week, never got the taste out of them.

Oxy-clean (or PBW, or youngs cleaner+sanitiser, or any cleaner really), warm water, slosh around as per instructions, if you can get and arm (or a stick) in, use a sponge (not a scourer) to wipe off any mold or dirt.

Open the valve and let the flow dislodge any dirt in there, unless you can get it apart to clean it properly.

Just don't leave anything scented or strong smelling in there longer or at a higher concentration than necessary (unscented bleach would probably be fine for a quick wash).

If you're worried about the water whilst camping, get some purification tablets from an outdoors shop. They'll kill off anything in the water and the barrel.

Don't bleach them (don't you love a consensus). Mine went funky and I put bleach in them for a week, never got the taste out of them.

Oxy-clean (or PBW, or youngs cleaner+sanitiser, or any cleaner really), warm water, slosh around as per instructions, if you can get and arm (or a stick) in, use a sponge (not a scourer) to wipe off any mold or dirt.

Open the valve and let the flow dislodge any dirt in there, unless you can get it apart to clean it properly.

Just don't leave anything scented or strong smelling in there longer or at a higher concentration than necessary (unscented bleach would probably be fine for a quick wash).

If you're worried about the water whilst camping, get some purification tablets from an outdoors shop. They'll kill off anything in the water and the barrel.

You left bleach in them for a week? :shock: No wonder they went funky. Plastic absorb smells/tastes/chemicals

@theOP I would clean them with OXY-clean (1tsp/5L left for 40 mins)Then rinsed thoroughly. Then I would use bleach. Bleach is part of my nuclear option for the couple of times I got an infection. 100ml/2L (which is a strong solution) left for about 20-30 mins then rinse thoroughly

Agree with the bleach option, short term though!.
I left one of mine with dregs of beer and yeast for well over a year and after rinsing with hot water and detergent I put in bleach with water for 20 minutes.
used it since for beer with no after effects.

Good advice above. But what are they like inside? If they're clean, and don't smell of anything in particular, then you can be gentle in your cleaning.
If they smell bad, or have black sooty mould spots on the inside, then I reckon bleach is your best option. In bad cases, I'd remove the taps and tops and clean them separately. Then put undiluted bleach into the keg & leave it for a couple of hours, sponging it around it regularly so all the inside gets repeatedly coated. Then rinse everything thoroughly. (Even after thorough rinsing, the air in the keg will still smell of bleach. Don't worry, this will soon go)

A couple of ways to get rid of bleach odour. Odour, that is, not liquid. Do not pour any of these onto/into bleach as you may produce chlorine gas.....

Vinegar
Lemon juice
Baking soda.

That should get rid of the honk.

Today, I had a look and a sniff in each one. They both looked grubby with stains and smelt of beer. I'll shall take the taps and lids off when I get to cleaning them. Going out on Monday to get some Oxiclean or the equivalent and see if I can find some odorless bleach. I'll let you all know how I get on... :thumb:

Back