Brewdog Punk IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats odd. I swear my kit had amarillo and galaxy hops in it instead of ahtanum and simcoe.

I could easily be mis-remembering though

I swapped the ahtanum for Galaxy and its pretty damn good, not too far away.

John

I don;t get the whole Brewdog thing. There are not many of their beers that I've tried that I was particularly taken with. I do still go into Brewdog Newcastle with friends when I'm back up home, and I've tried several of their beers... I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

I completely agree.

Since starting to look into brewing I've joined a craft beer page or two on Facebook - and the way people faun over BrewDog is crazy.

We've had one of there bars in Leeds for a while, and I hate the place - overpriced and generally full of k**bs!

Thankfully we are not short on good beer places in Leeds!

Sorry - that's a little off-topic...

It's very clever branding. I like their beers a lot but the prices are ridiculous! Over £2 for a 330ml bottle in Tesco!
Last time I was in England (December, Manchester) Tesco was charging about £2.50 - but it was a 660ml bottle of Punk IPA. Better than £1.75 for 330ml at the Co-op here on Skye. Still not cheap, of course.
Mind you, I wouldn't want to clone it anyway. Fair enough, some of their beers opened my eyes to the "new, very citrus hoppy" style of beer. But after a few trials (well, quite a few to be honest...:whistle: ) I'm now producing stuff I like a lot better, at a fraction of the cost (my time not included of course!!). My hoppy brews are definitely more expensive than my staple brews of 20 years ago, though. The American & NZ hops are a lot pricier, and I'm using a lot more of them.
Personally, I don't have a problem with Brewdog & their marketing. At least they are producing very decent beers - and so even if you think it's a "con", lots more people are being exposed to good beer, which can't be bad.
Contrast this with the 1960s. Small brewers were disappearing fast, being bought up by the big boys. Decent beer was also disappearing fast. A pint of Watney's Red Barrel anyone? No, of course Ind Coope's Double Diamond was far better (my father actually said this to me :lol: ). And it was working! Some people were actually growing to like the stuff! ( Dad included - which has always puzzled me.... ) No wonder CAMRA gained a foothold.
I'd far sooner have Brewdog producing a product that is recognisable as beer, rather than BrewCorp with a production line pumping out some unidentified brown, alcoholic liquid! :)

Don't get me wrong, I like them as a company and what they are doing for the image of proper beer, I just don't get any people (admittedly, young, new to beer types) think it is the best thing ever. I'd much rather have something from Orkney brewery or Wylam or even Jennings, than any of the Brewdog beers I've tasted.

Found this clone recipe for Punk IPA on beersmith, not done it so no idea how it turns out.

This is for 50l so would need to scale back for smaller batches obviously.

50litre batch
6.88%, 1.064 SG, 42 IBU's

Grain, 14kg Marris Otter

60 mins, 30g Chinook
15 mins, 70g Ahtanum
15 mins, 40g Nelson Sauvin
10 mins, 40g Simcoe
Nottingham ale yeast
Dry Hop for 7 days with 40g Chinook, 40g Nelson Sauvin, 40g Simcoe

Not done it but hopefully will be useful to somebody.

I like this stuff, the Punk and the Dead Pony, but I agree about the cost, it isn't cheap. Having said that Tesco are doing 4 at £1.79 each which is a bit more palatable (pardon the pun).

Until I started home brew I was a lager drinker, couldn't stand ales and bitters but this introduced me to IPA's and great citrusy/hoppy flavours.

It is becoming very popular which I think is a good thing, its a UK brewery. You can vote with your wallet of course. :thumb:

Do Maltmiller still not do the punkie ipa kit it was only £30 and you get two batches of grains for a double brew

I do agree the shop price for brewdog punk IPA is expensive but a great drink. If you want to buy a few shares in brewdog you can. You get upto 15% discount depending on the amount of shares you buy. The discount can be used in the brewdog pub or order beers and merchandise online. You also get the chance to go to the AGM £10 a ticket but you get 10 tokens to get beer average beer 2 tokens great deal. And live bands playing most of the day.

I wouldn't brew a clone of this beer as it would be to hoppy/bitter for me but if I did I'd brew it using wyeast 2112 Californian lager yeast (Steam beer yeast), just so I call brew a Steam Punk Beer :mrgreen:

I wouldn't brew a clone of this beer as it would be to hoppy/bitter for me but if I did I'd brew it using wyeast 2112 Californian lager yeast (Steam beer yeast), just so I call brew a Steam Punk Beer :mrgreen:

Would you wear Victorian goggles and ferment it in a copper riveted tank?

Would you wear Victorian goggles and ferment it in a copper riveted tank?

Yup. And I will have a small child in a top hat serving at the bar I sold it in :lol:

bar-steampunk-truth-coffee-cape-town-6.jpg

I love Punk IPA, probably one of my favourite and go to beers.

I'm an equity investor too, I only bought one share the last time they did their drive purely looking at it as a permanent club membership with perks like discount, the odd free thing, AGM, etc. Pity these benefits are next to useless as I decided to travel abroad at the same time, that was nearly 3 years ago!

I agree that their marketing is not my cup of tea, a bit arrogant and in your face, but I do love their beers and they continue to shape the craft beer market in the UK and world wide. I'm from Aberdeen so there is a wee bit extra sense of pride in it too. :-)

Has Anyone tried the Son of Punkie IPA kit from the Malt Miller?

Looks to be good value and the orignal kit they sold has a few good reviews floating around.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8yk3Y1lfbI[/ame]

I did the St Peters Ruby red kit, 9 months in the bottle and it was almost a Punk IPA. I say almost, as it was actually better than Punk!

Latest posts

Back