Youngs IPA not bubbling after day 12

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6954dave

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been brewing for a few years now, have just done my first IPA in a home-made brew fridge with the temperature fixed at 20 degrees (operating temp of yeast is 20-25 degrees).

12705785_10101238371108405_636683369919498647_n.jpg

Problem is, there's no bubbling in the airlock, and the Krausen Layer is about 1mm thick. The only reason I know there is yeast activity is because if i push down on the lid to expel air out through the airlock, the lid then rises and domes upwards after a few hours, but still there's no bubbling. I've checked the lid for good closure and readjusted the airlock seal a few times but feeling a bit flummoxed!

I can only assume my pitching temp was too low (~21 degrees) or CO2 is escaping somewhere. I'm reluctant to check the gravity because I don't want to infect the brew prematurely but 12 days is a long time to see low activity.

For info, I spent about 5 minutes aerating the wort vigorously and then stirred the dry yeast into the wort after sprinkling on the top.

I went for a low temp for brew as many others have reported very aggressive fermentation with this kit. Also, I cranked the temp up to 24 degrees for the last 2 days to see if this kicks the yeasts into gear but still no improvement.

Any thoughts chaps (and chapesses)? Should I try pitching a second batch of yeast to speed up?

The lids often leak on those plastic fermenters. The gas is probably finding it easier to squeeze out of the lid seal than to push up the liquid in the airlock. Have you taken a hydrometer reading?

I totally agree with DarrenSL. I have a brew fermenting in a bin at the moment and 3 more in barrels. The barrels airlocks have been glugging away for days while the bin lid is bowed but the airlock is silent. I have never had a active airlock in the fermenting bin but the brews have always been good with a low final gravity and no off flavors. Don't worry it'll come good

Cheers. No not yet. Will do tonight and report back. On all my previous brews the seal has been fine and it's bubbled away happily. Perhaps the pressure difference being inside a fridge has something to do with it.

Hi All,

I've been brewing for a few years now, have just done my first IPA in a home-made brew fridge with the temperature fixed at 20 degrees (operating temp of yeast is 20-25 degrees).

Problem is, there's no bubbling in the airlock, and the Krausen Layer is about 1mm thick. The only reason I know there is yeast activity is because if i push down on the lid to expel air out through the airlock, the lid then rises and domes upwards after a few hours, but still there's no bubbling. I've checked the lid for good closure and readjusted the airlock seal a few times but feeling a bit flummoxed!

I can only assume my pitching temp was too low (~21 degrees) or CO2 is escaping somewhere. I'm reluctant to check the gravity because I don't want to infect the brew prematurely but 12 days is a long time to see low activity.

For info, I spent about 5 minutes aerating the wort vigorously and then stirred the dry yeast into the wort after sprinkling on the top.

I went for a low temp for brew as many others have reported very aggressive fermentation with this kit. Also, I cranked the temp up to 24 degrees for the last 2 days to see if this kicks the yeasts into gear but still no improvement.

Any thoughts chaps (and chapesses)? Should I try pitching a second batch of yeast to speed up?

This kit takes a long time. Even Youngs instructions say that. It is still fermenting, albeit slowly, judging on what you have said. Mine went for 20 days before I dry hopped. So as its still going I wouldn't bother with any more yeast. But I would turn the controller back down to 20*C, 24*C is a bit high.
As others have said the FV lid is probably leaking, mine do, even though they look OK.
And as DarrenSL has said why not take an SG reading? That way you will know exactly where you are.

Yes, I've had buckets that used to be ok but now aren't airtight. I think when you lift it by the handle when full of liquid it kinks the rim slightly.

Well you'll be pleased to know that the gravity has tumbled from 1.064 to 1.008 (in ten days not 12!) Which promises to be a rather punchy batch!

So from now on I shan't worry about bubbling and just be patient. Just wish I hadn't cranked it to 24° 2 days ago and just kept it stable at 19.5°.

CHEERS CHAPS!!

I find that if I only put enough water to half fill the bottom bubbles of the airlock I see a lot more activity, one of my buckets I have to just fill the bottom loop to see activity because the lid seal is so bad

Good idea! Have also bought a second FV from the http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/ which will hopefully be a bit tighter. Plus it has decent 1 Litre gradations on the side for more accurate filling.

I suspect mine is a little too punchy at 8.2% because I underfilled at the start, so will add a bit of water when I rack off this bucket into the new one.

Thanks everyone

Good idea! Have also bought a second FV from the http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/ which will hopefully be a bit tighter. Plus it has decent 1 Litre gradations on the side for more accurate filling.

I suspect mine is a little too punchy at 8.2% because I underfilled at the start, so will add a bit of water when I rack off this bucket into the new one.

Thanks everyone

If you miss the sight and sound of a operating airlock due to a leaky FV lid you could try what I do after the primary has died down, which is to remove the FV lid and cover the rim with four cling film strips pulled over the rim edge, followed by replacing the lid. This seals the FV/lid joint and from next to nothing the burp rate goes up markedly.

Gravity has been stable at 1.008 so I've pitched my hop pellets into the mix. How long do you reckon it takes for the pellets to distribute and settle into the sediment before I can rack the mix into a fresh barrel?

I usually leave them in for 4 days and it's fine for my tastes, it's a great pint - one of my favourites but you certainly feel it after a few pints - strong stuff :thumb:

Everything will be fine.... As long as you bring some bottles into work for me to assess :)

Beer now primed and bottled. It was exceptionally clear even after dry hopping the week before. Hopefully there'll be enough yeast left to fire off the priming sugars!!

As mentioned previously, airlocks bubbling should never (solely) be used to assess fermentation. Gas will escape through the path of least resistance.. measure the gravity and observe the krausen/condensation on lid/slight fizzing sound from wort (ie, general signs of fermentation).

I got rid of my airlock after my first couple of brews. Just another thing to clean and possible cause of infection IMHO. Replace the whole lid and airlock and use gladwrap instead (kept secure by the o-ring from the lid). You can easily see inside the fermenter, you can easily observe fermentation from condensation on the gladwrap and it bulging like a balloon on vigorous ferments. Especially with a fermenter being kept in the fridge, you don't even hear the 'bloop bloop' of the airlock.

Latest posts

Back