Secondary vessel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamSon

Reaction score
Hi folks, I posted on here last year saying I was going to dive straight into all grain brewing, but things came about and it had to be put on hold.

So now I'm going to start with kit brewing, I've got a youngs American IPA kit and I'm about to get the equipment to get me started, my question is, do I really need a secondary bin to transfer the brew to before bottling? Or can I transfer straight into bottles after fermenting?

Thanks.

You can rack straight into the bottles, but you'll need to prime each bottle with sugar. Batch priming is much easier and, in my opinion, well worth purchasing another FV.

Dave

My other half got me an introduction to home brewing at the brew store in edinbrugh and he talked about priming each bottle but he also said transfer to another vessel first, but I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible. Would it just mean less sediment in the bottles if I use a secondary vessel?

A bottling bucket makes things easier IMHO, but i have batch primed every batch to date.

If I was to use a second vessel, would I syphon into that and need to let it settle before bottling? If so, how long?

I bottled straight from the FV for many years without any problems.
Although I must say I find it easier to transfer to a bottling bucket fitted with a tap and little bottler attachment. It needn't cost that much, just a cheap FV, tap (DIY here, you can get the tap as a set with the bottling attachment.
To syphon get the one with the bucket end to reduce the amount of crud pick up.

This is my setup using a King Keg as the bottling bucket. With this method you can do the bottling standing up...:D

31900b8a-58bf-4316-af4c-10a3426d89c5.jpg

I bottled straight from the FV for many years without any problems.
Although I must say I find it easier to transfer to a bottling bucket fitted with a tap and little bottler attachment. It needn't cost that much, just a cheap FV, tap (DIY here, you can get the tap as a set with the bottling attachment.
To syphon get the one with the bucket end to reduce the amount of crud pick up.
My FV has a tap and I bottle straight from primary with my bottling wand. I'm considering going to 2 vessels depending how my first 2 AGs end up!

I never use a secondary and no you don't need to. For your first brews, why bother with the expense and space (ok I realise it's not that big an expense or space). Bottle straight from the fv and you'll be fine. Either wth a little bottler if you have a tap on your fv, or a bog standard siphon. Get a few brews under your belt then if you feel the need make the investment.

There is no right or wrong btw. There's personal preference and opinion. What I do believe in is the idea of starting simple, then building up and finding your style.

Thanks for all the input, I think I will go with the single fv to start with, who knows, I might hate brewing my own.... Ha.
One last question, what's the cheapest way of heating? I'm thinking of an aquarium heater, new hole in lid, plug off to feed through, seal up the hole, kinda job?

Thanks for that link, don't think I will risk possible contamination by putting it in the brew, I'm sure I can rob a big ass bucket from work lol.

Or don't heat! If your house is around 19-22 then most ale yeasts will be happy. Even if it drops a little in the night you'll most likely be ok. Nothing below 18c though, in my experience that seam to be the problem zone for ales.

I'm cantankerous tonight for some reason, sorry.

No comment :wink: :lol:

I think that kernal IPA went to my head.

I remember when I started brewing, I'd see people talking about stuff and assumed I needed to do it. A lot of it I did, but a lot I didn't. I'm just trying to help folk know what's essential vs what's not. Of course you can do all this stuff from day 1, but then you've a lot of variables to control.

Minimise the variables and you learn the basics quicker. Then start adding the non essential stuff and see what works for you.

I did think about keeping it covered with insulation, kinda like those silver freezer bag type things, maybe I could just fill the FV with water at 22 degrees and wrap it up like a bug in a rug and see what the temperature is like when the heating is at 15 degrees(my brother keeps it at that while we're both at work for some reason).

Ok so a quick update. I ordered a basic kit which should be coming tomorrow, and I was passing wilko's so decided to pick up a second vessel for a tenner. So once it's finished in the FV, I transfer it to the secondary one, how long do I need to leave it before I bottle?

Latest posts

Back