1st brew- coopers treacle stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a full time and I think it was just right. Very interested to see how the maltodextrin turns out..

After a bit more thought and research here is my proposed recipe for the Xmas brew.

1.7kg coopers Irish stout
300g demera sugar
454g black treacle
500g dark spray malt
250g maltodextrin
3 heaped tablespoons ground coffee.

I'm concerned about the whole tin of treacle so could reduce and add more sugar.... Thoughts please.

Also I want to try to replicate the creaminess of Guinness so do u think 250g maltodextrin would do it?

I want it to have a nice kick, wondering if I need more fermentables?

Hi JB
I'm not an expert but I made the Coopers Stout with a full pot of filter coffee that had been boiled in a pan a bit to reduce it and I'm still struggling to taste it - I think it made it more bitter though.
Just think you may need to up your coffee a bit to get some flavour.

cheers

Only a personal choice but i would't chuck a whole tin of treacle in myself, all a matter of taste i guess.
I have made an extract coffee stout by adding cold steeped coffee using ESE pods
and found that after a while the coffee taste does get assimilated into the stout after an initial fairly prominent flavour when tried early.
I also think that i would cold steep again, infact i have done so.

Back