bulldog easter brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i have one bottle left of this have to say glad its gone i dont feel the description on the box matches the the taste at all
i found the roasted malt over powered any other flavor in this stout and it tasted nothing like liquid candy as the box says

now some people may like this but ill not be making it again ill try do a proper review on this with the last bottle

I tried mine today, and I actually quite like it.
The chocolate flavour is maybe a bit over the top and a bit artificial as people have posted, but it's quite a nice stout.

Next time though I'll try a stout without chocolate.

Can anyone point me to a really nice stout kit?

I tried mine today, and I actually quite like it.
The chocolate flavour is maybe a bit over the top and a bit artificial as people have posted, but it's quite a nice stout.

Next time though I'll try a stout without chocolate.

Can anyone point me to a really nice stout kit?

St. Peters Cream Stout Beer Kit

Mines been bottled a few days so it will be Feb before i drink any , did not find the chocolate too invasive, it should mellow with time in bottle, So many people cant wait to get stuck in, i feel like that some times but restrain my self for at least 6 weeks before drinking. Thought the post about the guy drinking his cider brew from the bucket before it had finished fermenting very funny .

This was the first kit I did for my return to brewing this year. I saw chocolate and bought it before I realised I don't drink stout :doh: Still for a non stout drinker it seemed very good, still got a few bottles that have been in the cupboard for 9 months.

Just a quick update: mine has been in the bottle for 7 weeks now and it has improved so much since I last posted. The chocolate taste has become much more subtle, and this brew has gone from being one of my least favourite, to one of my favourite ever. I really like it. And the bonus is that since it started off a little underwhelming, I have not been dipping into my stash, so I still have about 36 bottles left to enjoy over Christmas.
Cheers folks. Have a good Christmas and New Year! :cheers:

Been two weeks carbing and two weeks conditioning, tried one last night because there didnt seem much action in the bottles when i shook one. I was right there only lightly carbed and i gave it a teaspoon of sugar and two weeks in warmth. Taste was average bit slight coca wet cardboard and not has much body has expected. Brewed with 500g dark spray malt to improve body .would need 300g-500g of lactose to increase the body and mouth feel. It gave a light 5ml head then flat has a pancake, This must be the worst kit i have ever made in 20yrs, might improve with a couple of months conditioning but on first impressions i doubt it . might bring it back inside to try to increase the carb??? but after two weeks in the warmth it should have carbed nicely. if its no better by june it will go has onion feed on my big onions they will love it.

i started off the Bull dog Easter chocolate stout with an extra 500g of Dark spray malt on the 2nd Nov and its still bating along nicely no sign of stopping over 14 days, yet the instructions say 7 days , the extra spay malt cant of made that much difference ??

Just opened the second bottle not Impressed, the beer is clear clean body has developed quite a lot from last sample( i used some oats with it) lightly carbonated i primed for more carbonation ? tastes a bit indiscriminate. does not light any fires and a bit coco powderish no chocolate taste ,could do with a touch more hops , Drinkable but thats it , wont buy again, its not worth the money, Theres far better stuff out there than this . I cant see it getting any better with age, i will periodically drink some and save most of it to see if it improves. Nothing like the fairy story description on the box.:nono:

Started this one on Wednesday. Got the OG at 1.055 so bang on what it should be. Fermenting away like anything yesterday but today seems to have died down which is a bit worrying. I've had it on a heating pad as well so not sure if the temperature has had an effect. I'll monitor it and see how it goes.

Mine started at 1038! Checked with 2 Hydrometers :(

Didn't have time to think any more about it on brew day, so I pitched the yeast and left it to it's own devices.

Fermented pretty fiercely for about 12 hours and then dropped off. 1020 was the reading then. I added a pinch of yeast nutrient and then it completely stopped. Not one more bubble from that point on.

Made a large starter with US-05 yeast to try to revive it, approx 1 litre. Got a few bubbles but now it's completely inert after a further 10 days.

It's my first brew that I'm pouring down the sink before even bottling having made around 15 batches previously

Very disappointed. Smells nice though!

Just read this full thread and it seems most people did not like this kit, can anyone recommend a nice chocolate stout kit??

Never tried or tasted one but always wanted to do one, thanks

Just read this full thread and it seems most people did not like this kit, can anyone recommend a nice chocolate stout kit??

Why not do a decent stout kit like St peters or one recommended by the lads on here and add your own chocolate, dissolve a bar or two of 80% stuff from lidl in boiling water .

The kit died on me, stopped fermenting for about a week and a bit. All of a sudden it is bubbling away again! Weirdest kit I've done. I reckon some lactose sugar will be beneficial to it once it's ready.

I really liked the youngs mocha porter, coffee and chocolate.

As others have said you can make your own by adding things, the coopers stout is a great base.

My brew of this should be ready to try for the weekend! I added 500g lactose sugar at the end as well. I'll let you know what it's like when I try it!

I also have just bottled this brew and mine was initially coming in at 1020, I pulsed the hydrometer up and down to release bubbles from it and it settled at 1016. I went ahead and bottled due to the fact that it had been sat for 14 days and not bubbled for about 7 days. Fingers crossed I dont have any explosions!

Latest posts

Back