evil dog help needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just had a evil dog resting in bottles for about 2.5 months I know this takes a bit of time to come right.

I tested a bottle the other night and it has a strange taste to it like all I can describe is like a burnt taste.

now obviously it has been near no heat has any one got any ideas what this taste could be.

it is lovely and carbed with a nice white head once poured, but it is this strange taste which makes it not very pleasant when drinking .

cheers

Hi All,

Has anybody got any ideas what this strange taste might be.

I can rule out the hops as I didn't put nay in there.

Im very unsure as to whether I should drink this or not.

Like I say apart from the strange taste it is a very nice beer looking wise.

cheers

Usually a burnt taste would be down to burning sugar or malt extract at some stage in the process. Since it is a kit and there is no clear need to heat anything other than plain water, I assume it must have been that way when you opened the kit.

Does it taste a bit like bonfire toffee?

Usually a burnt taste would be down to burning sugar or malt extract at some stage in the process. Since it is a kit and there is no clear need to heat anything other than plain water, I assume it must have been that way when you opened the kit.

Does it taste a bit like bonfire toffee?

Hi yeagh

it is drinkable but not in large quantities which is a shame as it is normally a nice kit.

hi yeagh

it does taste a bit like bonfire toffee, which is not a very nice taste to a beer, which is a shame really as it is a nice pint when I have done it before.

hi yeagh

it does taste a bit like bonfire toffee, which is not a very nice taste to a beer, which is a shame really as it is a nice pint when I have done it before.

In this case, it probably is just burnt sugars from whatever source.

The way the law currently is, you are advised to complain to the retailer in the first instance. That is, should you be sufficiently disappointed and sufficiently bothered to do so. :lol:

Alternatively you might send a polite e-mail to the manufacturer enquiring whether your perceptions might meet their intended flavour profile and whether there might be a simple explanation?.

Alternatively you might send a polite e-mail to the manufacturer enquiring whether your perceptions might meet their intended flavour profile and whether there might be a simple explanation?.

I did this to Marstons regarding one of there bottled beers , and although they proved the issue wasn't there doing but the retailer they still sent me 20 quid voucher to buy any beer in supermarket

I did this to Marstons regarding one of there bottled beers , and although they proved the issue wasn't there doing but the retailer they still sent me 20 quid voucher to buy any beer in supermarket

Ahh, yes and that is exactly the point. The retailer knows it is not his real fault and the manufacturer does. Nice to see that this might actually work, BTW. :thumb:

Back