Wasp Stinger - Wasp is optional though

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
I thought I'd post this random recipe i did today here, so i've got easy reference to it should i ever lose my brewbook as i have misplaced it in the past :roll: be warned though this hasn't had the taste test yet so brew it at your own risk :twisted:

I got 20L out of this after topping the fermenter up with water because i inadvertently stopped the sparge sooner than i thought

Wasp Stinger

20L
OG 1.055

Grain (90 Min mash at 68'c):
4.5kg Maris Otter
0.5kg Crystal Malt

Boil (60 Mins):
50g Fuggles (60 Mins)
30g Challenger (30 Mins)
20g Challenger (15 Mins)
Irish Moss (15 Mins)

Yeast:
S04

:sick:

the wasp was filtered out of mine fortunately hehe, found it in amongst the hop bed ;)

IMAGE_660.jpg

FEKKIN GORGEOUS !!!! (see my random brewday thread ;))

My next door neighbour (whom i've only known a month) just gave this a 9/10 and when asked if he'd buy another if it were served at a pub he said "with out a doubt, it's a belter"

i'm well chuffed :D

Careful, he might like it too much! He'll drink you dry :lol:

BS
By the way you are enthusing over Wasp, I just have to give it a go at the earliest oppertunity. I just did the beersmith thing and it comes out at 48 IBU is that about right? What AA were the hops you used?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Wasp Stinger
Brewer: BrewStew
Asst Brewer:
Style: English IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (45.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 18.94 L
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 20.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 47.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 90.00 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (125.0 EBC) Grain 10.00 %
50.00 gm Fuggles [4.70 %] (60 min) Hops 21.3 IBU
30.00 gm Challenger [8.60 %] (30 min) Hops 18.0 IBU
20.00 gm Challenger [8.60 %] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
5.00 gm Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Single Infusion Add 12.50 L of water at 75.0 C 68.0 C

Notes:
------
This is bloody GORGEOUS!!! but blows your socks off if your not careful cos it's very quaffable

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hope that does the trick ;) now that i know my effeciency (which i didn't at the time of this brew) i've managed to tweak beersmith to what i got in the fermenter. I actually collected 20L, but that's because I stopped sparging too early, as you probably saw in my postings.

you're correct about the IBU's but because there is a slightly sweet nature to this brew probably from the 68'c mash and the crystal malt, the bitterness isn't as potent :)

i'm thinking about doing this again for the group brew as it hits all the targets of an English IPA :D

PS... i've brought a 4 pint tankered full of WS with me to work, so i'll be getting some feedback from my work colleagues and hopefully the landlord of the pub next door.

I'll let you know what they think

just re read that recipe from beersmith and i wondered why the boil volume was less than the batch volume. It's because it's telling me i should add 7L of water (as needed) to achieve final volume. This is essentially what i did to make this stinger.

When i get home and i'm on my Beersmith at home that's set to my equipment i'll double check how you can do this without the need to add water, if you prefer not to. but i dont see why the above method shouldn't work cos that's pretty much exactly what i did in the first place hehe.

Well the concensus say it's a winner! :D

the landlord next door was most impressed, saying that he could easily sell it, and reccomended i put it into competition :D

result ;)

Back