coopers irish stout or muntons gold stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_cov

Reaction score
Iv decided im going to make an irish stout. I have read good reviews on both of these and im unsure which one to try. If they taste anything similar to guiness or murphys i will be very happy :D . And also what else to go with them spraymalt, sugar, etc :wha: . If anyone has tried either or both of these let me know how they turned out. :cheers:

Not tried either but I'd be as interested as you to find a decent stout kit.
Having said that Woodfordes Nog produces a decent porter like beer that I would say is a cross between Guinness & Theakstons Old Peculiar.
My daughters other half thought that it tasted like a good pint of Guinness and he is very particular with his beers.

I can only say good things about the Coopers Irish Stout. I made it with 1kg beer enhancer and it turned out as a very nice brew. Took a couple of months to condition, but a very nice stout.

thanks for the replys lads. will leave it to condition for ages anyways wont be in a rush to drink it as i wont be drinking till the boxing season is finished. Going to see what replys i get over the next couple of days before i order. :cheers:

coopers irish stout gets my vote.the only thing missing was a touch more chocolate flavour but maybe i can try adding that next time. i brewed it with 1kg dark spraymalt. its a great pint, i put all of it in my cornie and theres only a few pints left, i wish i had bottled some of it now to keep for a few months. i brewed an extract stout this morning to compensate!

Thanks abeyptfc. I will be putting all mine in bottles. do i just add half teaspoon of spraymalt per bottle for priming? :cheers:

had the munton imperial in the keg for a month now and its developing into a lovely pint, not a session beer though :cheers:

I've had a Munton's Imperial in bottles now for c.3 weeks and, maybe I did something wrong but, its not going down very well. I may have started into it too soon but it's got a very strong treacle/smoke flavour and is quite a challenge to drink.

I can't compare it to the Coopers or even suggest the Munton's should taste like mine but I can tell you I'll be leaving stout kits well alone for some time to come.

p.s. if you want a beer to taste like Guinness your best bet is to go to the pub. I think it unlikely any kit could compare favourably.

Stout kits are more likely to taste like Stout than Guiness.

3 weeks is pretty young for the beer, especially (so I believe) a dark malty beer. I elft mine about 2 months before i started drinking it. Probably finished it in month 4.

Mine never tasted either smokey or sweet like treacle though.

If your LHBS stock it I would recomend Coopers Brewmasters Stout..
Coopers_Brewmaster_Selection_Irish_Stout_beer_kit.jpg

I did it with dark malt extract and afew shots of espresso + afew heaped table spoons of hot chocolate powder.. VERY nice indeed. Not a Guinness however! The kit was top notch!

D

I did the Coopers Irish stout last year. I used a can of Coopers light malt extract instead of sugar or spraymalt and whilst it tasted great, it looked **** with no head whatsoever. My mates loved the stout and made lots of jokes about no head :rofl:

Thanks for the advise lads :thumb: . I will be going to the homebrew stall in the coventry market tommorow will probly make my mind up last minute. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back