a tale of 2 yeasts and 2 fermentations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeyptfc

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks, looking for some opinions or advice on fermentation.
made up a coopers cerveza, starting gravity 1.052 and it fermented like a beast right down to 1.006 after 1 week, using normal coopers yeast.
and.....
made a stout extract, starting gravity 1.050, using s04, checked this after 8 days and its only reached 1.020, its still giving me 4% but i expected it to ferment to at least 1.010.

i had both fv's sitting in a water bath each with aquarium heater and both have been just under 21 degrees.

do the extract's take a bit longer to ferment out or is this a stuck fermentation? ive gave the stout a light rouse to try and get the yeast to ferment down a few more points but was surprised to have such different results with a supposed better yeast.

Moving to a secondary sometimes stimulates the yeast to ferment a bit further. People say it's only CO2 escaping due to the disturbance, but I found mine continued to bubble for over a week and the specific gravity dropped a little after it had stayed the same for a good 4 days or more.

it dropped down to 1.018, kegged and bottled last night. the stout tastes good from the fv, added 1/4 of a tspn of hot chocolate powder to a few bottles

sounds good. it might be that the extract stout just has a higher proportion of unfermentable sugars due to the heavily roasted malts. I'm interested to hear how the ones with the cocoa powder turn out.

I don't know for sure, but i thought it was a bit idea to add cocoa to beer, something to do with the oils?

I am making a mead with cocoa currently, and the recipe says this needs ageing for at least two years, something to do with breaking down oils in the cocoa, which would otherwise provide a bitter taste. also, i may have read it has some affect on the head?

Anyway, regardless, i hope your stout turns out good. let us know please!

Latest posts

Back