Blending Beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've 20L of a citra pale ale in a secondary that is conditioned and ready to force carb.
It's a little too 'grapefruity' if I'm honest - just too much of that citrus rind flavour.

I'm thinking of racking 10L of it straight into a pale ale I'm drinking (about half way through) in a corny keg and the re-carbonating the blended beer.

Any reason that's a bad idea????

That sort of practice is common in winemaking. i don't know if it is suitable for beer though.

My suggestion would be just to blend a little, like a pint's worth, and see what you think of it before doing the whole lot.

Originally with IPA the norm was to water it down or mix it with a very light beer and I can't personally see anything wrong with blending two beers together as long as there isn't anything wrong with either of them (like infection, oxidation or staling of any kind).

I took the plunge and did it.
Poured half of each into a glass and it tasted bloody lovely.

So carefully de-gassed the corny and syphoned about 10L of the Citra in on top of about 7-8 litres of the pale ale in there already. Then dunked the lid in star-san, sealed back up and whacked the carb up.

I'm hoping there's enough fizz so I can fill a few bottles to take round for lad's poker night tonight :cool: !!!

Back