My first hooch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcscruff

Reaction score
I made this a few weeks ago and am now drinking..

uda5a8e5.jpg

One downside.. when i opened it it bubbled like a champers bottle :)

Thanks to everyone on this forum

(Ps this is only my 3rd attempt at homebrew and my plain apple cider also tasted great a month after it had rested)

Silly questions, but:

1 - what is hooch?
2 - is it any good
3 - if so, recipe please

:cheers:

Hooch was a great almost a lemonade alcopop from when i was 15 (10 years ago) and it seems to be coming back this year as a few pubs are stocking.

I used:
500ml lemon juice (jif type stuff)
500g sugar
Top with water
Yeast and nutrient
3 lemons chopped up and chucked in after the yeast.

I primed with 1tsp of sugar and left.

Costs:
500ml asda lemon juice is 40p (baking isle 20p for a 250ml)
500g sugar under 50p
Lemons under a pound
Water free

If anyone can improve this recipe please do. I have just drank 2 litres of it and from memory it was 6.5%. Its good

I've been lookin to do hooch for a while now, does this recipe make just 2ltr or a gallon?

Hi. How long did you leave to ferment out and then bottle? How long did it take from the start to having your first swig?

I started it on the 19/11. It took about a week to ferment and i believe i could have drunk it last week.

Im going to make a 25l today and hope to be drinking it xmas eve :)

Cheers for the info McScruff! This has been added to the must try list.

Just about to start this one off, well today or tomorrow, just wondering how much you recipe makes?

Ta :cheers:

andylanc1975 said:
Just about to start this one off, well today or tomorrow, just wondering how much you recipe makes?

Ta :cheers:

Already been asked. Makes a gallon from his recipe so after all the ingredients are in its topped up with water.

I'm about to make some soonish!

:oops: oh aye, I see it now... Better make that appointment with the opticians sooner rather than later me thinks!

I put the sugar and about a pint or so of water into a pan, brought to the boil and dumped the sliced up lemons in there whilst I got on with sterilising the dj and all the other bits I needed. Figured the heat on the sugar syrup would kill any nasties on the outside of the lemon and denature any preservatives.

Set it running on Monday, and this morning despite it only being 16C, it was fizzing nicely. Will try and move it to a slightly warmer location tonight to get the brew going.

danb said:
did you boil the lemon juice first to get rid of the preservatives?

Nope. Probably should have but it didnt seem to effect it.

I currently have a 5 gallon on the go but its slow.due to the temperature in my flat :(

all in the fv and put away o.g 1.044 should turn out quite nice, definately smells good.

Latest posts

Back