WOW total newbie problems - possibly

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easybanta

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Hope your all well and can possibly help and advise me...

I'm toally new to wine making craft but I thought i'd have a go at making some wine so I decided to have ago at making some WOW and Richards Red 2 Recipes I gratefully found on the internet.

So I made 25 litres of WOW and a Demijon of the red now I started these on the 7th of jan and they were fermenting lovely I went away for over a week come back and nothing, they both stopped I checked the hydrometer reading and there both just below .990

So being a total newbie are I don't know if these wines are totally ruined or are they ok?

Is under 2 weeks to quick for a wine to forment out or is this normal?

What are my options now is the wine worth keeping, will the alcohol level be ok it was at 1070 when i started, and what should I do next?

Can i use 5 litre water bottles to transfer it to, to clear and do i leave the caps screwed down or does it have to breath?

I know these may seem like idiotic questions but being a newbie I do appreciate all the help and if I don't know I'll always ask.

2 weeks for a juice wine to ferment out 80 gravity points is fairly normal if the temperature's about right.

0.990 is a good final gravity and means you've got a dry wine. There's an alcohol by volume (abv) calculator if you click the button at the left of the forum banner. Ignoring the decimal points, 1070 down to 990 gives you 10.6% alcohol.

Racking to multiple water bottles is a good idea because you won't need to top up and dilute that wine.

If you want to sweeten that wine you will need to use Campden tablets and wine stabiliser when you rack it. You've probably already found the beginner's guide but that should explain clearing, stabilising and sweetening.

If fermentation has completely finished or you have stopped and stabilised the wine, then you can screw down those bottle caps. It doesn't need to breathe, in fact it shouldn't be allowed to breathe too much.

Back