need to check my calculations for TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBrewing

Reaction score
going to make 23 litres of TC
3L of Cranberry 124g sugar per 1,000ml
20L of AJ 95g per 1,000ml

want something around the 6-7% mark i think.....

so aiming for 7 to calculate Gravity drop i read take target ABV * 7.4 (ish)

7 * 7.4 = 51.8 drop.

expect cider to finish around .995-1, call it 1 for sake of calculation.
so i need an OG of 1.052.

I understand 36 points is 100g of sugar per litre. To get to sugar required (100/36) * 51.8 = 143.8g of sugar

based on my ingredients above per litre i should have
((3 * 124) + (20 * 95)) /23 = 98.78g sugar per litre

so i need to add 143.8 * 98.78 = 45.02g of sugar per litre( so 45.02g * 23 = 1,035g)

Have i grasped that right ?

Yes. But as you mention, the 7.4 figure is open to debate.

Doing it the old Rule-of-Thumb way (100g/l=5%), slightly less is required
100g/l=5% -> 140/l=7%g -> 3220g for 23l; You have 2272, you need 948

I'd split the difference and chuck in a kilo bag.
OTOH, I wouldn't aim for more than 5% anyway, so it's up to you

What juice is this? The ones I use are over 100g/l

Sugar is a flavour dilutent, you will end up with an incredibly insipid cider especially if you don't add tannin.

But if that is your tipple :thumb: :thumb:

I was kind of hoping the other stuff is in the recipe but he only mentioned the juices as the question was just about ABV.

indeed, it is based heavily on greysalchemy many excellent posts. Got the tannin and malic ready to go.

It is lidl AJ from concentrate that was all they had in last week. I have based the figures on the "of which sugars" from the nutritional info on the side.

MyBrewing said:
indeed, it is based heavily on greysalchemy many excellent posts. Got the tannin and malic ready to go.

It is lidl AJ from concentrate that was all they had in last week. I have based the figures on the "of which sugars" from the nutritional info on the side.

Ignore my comments i shouldn't have been so rude :oops:

I would still cut out the sugar though its not needed. And perhaps go for the Old rosie yeast as well :thumb: :thumb:

ok will drop the sugar, old rosie next time ;-)

should end just shy of 5%

p.s. did not take them as rude i thought they were constructive

MyBrewing said:

I thought the Lidl one was higher than that, but it's been a while since I used it. And I always used the nectar, not the juice.

Latest posts

Back