Youngs apple cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well guys my first cider is under way. I had more photos but alas letting my son play with my phone will teach me as i only hace this one left.

All went well pitched the yeast a exactly 20 deg and is now sat in the corner of the room waiting.
The OG was 1.032 (not sure if thats good/not good)

Will add more pics when i come to bottle it when it is finished (son will not be playing with my phone next time)

YoungsCider_zps710be45f.jpg

Right set up looks good , and im no expert and expect to be corrected but your 1.032 is probably a little low because youve got nearlt 26ltrs there which is more than 40pts (max aim for 23ltr) and also I dont use a lid with an airlock( though will do for wine) as I find just cracking a normal lid releases pressure and eliminates the need for a blow off tube and never had a problem even with some experimental brews with rather too much fermenables :D
But please keep posting as I was thinking of doing this kit soon

lovely big batch :D your abv may be a little lower than expected, as the usual OG would be around 1.040 who h is around 5% alcohol potential. Nothing wrong with that though, you'll have a few extra bottles from the batch to make up for it!

Is that a heating element in that? Your fermenter is inside (and beside a radiator too) so it shouldn't need extra heat, a brew that is too warm can cause the yeast to ferment off flavours.

And you don't really need an airlock on a plastic tub, but I use one anyway as they're fun to watch :D especially if it's your first brew, and when the airlock slows considerably (less than a bubble per minute) you'll know your cider is probably done fermenting. Of course, airlock aren't always reliable, especially on plastic tubs where the seal might not be perfect and gas can escape that way.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replys guys. Ill let you all know how it goes hopefully with a few pics when i bottle up when its ready.

As a newbi to this i think i have over done every thing lol i havnt turnedthe heater on as like you say its next to the radiator whichj is more than warm enough but i will learn.

Was a bit worried when i stupidly poored in too much but alas its done know so a learning curve.

Latest posts

Back