Scratch Restaurant

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbob

Regular.
Reaction score
We're thinking about opening our house as a scratch restaurant. We can turn our hands to Trad English, Thai, Indian, Greek, Med, Mex, Tex-Mex, amongst others. We can do raw-food, vegan, vege, meat, different intolerances coeliac etc.

The plan is to make it BYO with an honesty box at the end, ie if you feel it was worth restaurant quality then pay restaurant price, if you feel it was McDs quality then pay McDs price.

Has anyone else been to one of these or tried this?

Good idea. It could work. However... I am a Butchery Manager, and like us, you WILL have to complywith Food Safety Act (Amendment 1991).You will also have to qualify in Basic Food Handling. Also you will have to have a HACCP system in place(hazard analysis and critical control point system),also a high risk traceability system. If you contact your local Environmental Health and Trading Standards, they will point you in the right direction. Hope that helps.

jansman said:
Good idea. It could work. However... I am a Butchery Manager, and like us, you WILL have to complywith Food Safety Act (Amendment 1991).You will also have to qualify in Basic Food Handling. Also you will have to have a HACCP system in place(hazard analysis and critical control point system),also a high risk traceability system. If you contact your local Environmental Health and Trading Standards, they will point you in the right direction. Hope that helps.

Don't know how strong it is legally but I believe the idea is you go to someone's home and they feed you. Then when leaving you may want to reimburse them for the food and effort they put in. At no point is money exchanged for the food (or something like that).

Back