American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Brewjubbly

Regular.
Reaction score
EDIT: Bah! forgot to post the recipe - it's based on a two time award winner in the US:

5.2kg Maris Otter
0.45kg Crystal Malt
0.34kg Carapils
0.34kg Munich Malt

28g Chinook at 30 mins
45g Cascade at 30 mins
14g Willamette at 15
45g Cascade at 15
28g Willamette at 5

Well after my last brew day where I lost well over 10 litres of wort in the mash process, I am happy to report that with the new tun and setup I hit all volumes absolutely bang on. First time with tun, first time with fly sparging and first time with this overall setup so there was plenty that could have gone wrong :) Seemed to work out well though.

The new setup:

Mash time:

Sparging:

Boil underway and very happy about exact volume being produced:

Big hop bill on this one:

Smells awesome:

Sludge left behind - almost no gritty bits got into the fermenter:

Very airy wort into the fermenter:

I hit the 1060 I was aiming for bang on and the 20 litres bang on !! Let's hope the yeast that my wife took out the fridge without telling me 2 weeks ago works.

Let's hope you've got a sachet of US-05 on-hand if it doesn't!

Nice brew kit, but where does the BBQ come into the process? :D

HAHA yep I do have some backup on hand and judging by the dormant wort this morning I will need to pitch it when I get home tonight. The BBQ is there for when my brewing goes horribly wrong and I decide to console myself with burgers :)

a nice little brew set up. Lets you enjoy your brewing experience.

I know you were all on tenderhooks about the yeast :) I did have to pitch the safale 05. It is now foaming up and getting jiggy.

Thanks Vossy! :) I am really enjoying the process.

Only problem is that I am getting some stock now so need to slow down on the brewing. I need to drink faster!!

Sure,

It is an odd one because the hops only start going in 30 mins from the end which I've not seen before.

90 minute boil.
60 mins in add the first batch of hops. I can't see my recipe at the moment but I believe I had chinook and cascade at that moment.
75 mins in add the next batch and a teaspoon of irish moss (willamette and cascade? Again I can't see recipe)
85 mins in add final hops (willamette I believe).
Flame out at 90 mins.

I had a Thames Valley Wyeast liquid packet that was a dud due to the wife leaving it out in the blistering heat for 2 weeks :)

Safale 05 is what I pitched in the end. I kegged it today and had a little taste - it was very agreeable so expext to drinking this in 2 weeks time :)

I've just brewed this today. Came out at predicted 7.8% and got 30 litres! Watered it down to 5.8% which is still a little to much but my brother in law let it slide. Have I don't something wrong? Efficiency would have been through the roof if we had gone to 0.990 but ran out of space.

It's been just over a week in the cornies and the wife and I have tried it out properly today.

We love it. Tastes incredibly fresh, hoppy and very quafable. I am very surprised it tastes so complete after just a week in the corny. Very stable head for an IPA... I have been preparing to assess this brew by drinking IPA's if I've gone out to the pub and they seem to be quite thin with a feeble head that dies in seconds. This one is a tight, compact white head that likes to stay alive.

Unsure if you did anything wrong Jonny - it just seems to come out strong :)

Back