Wilkos dark velvet stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyde05

Reaction score
Hi guys thinking of brewing this wilkos dark velvet stout . But wanted to know if using two cans would make it better . Or would it ruin it . Please help guys . Thanks . In case you don't know they are one can kits .

It's a bit hit n miss doubling tins for a normal length brew. The tin contains enough hop extract etc for the full volume of beer, so doubling tins may mean your beer tastes a bit odd. It does sometimes add body and flavour. Some people like the effect, some don't.
Have you made this kit before and done it normally?

If you do do that, I would be tempted to brew it long, with 500g Dark spraymalt. to try and maintain some semblance of hop balance. I have a wherry with 500g Dark spraymalt. Its a cracking pint, but the hop balance is out, so its lacking something on the finish..

I'm pretty new to brewing. I don't know what it would do to your beer if you did add two cans but I've been working for wilko for a long time and its in my contract to say don't do it sir as our products are perfect the way they are haha but off the record, just a thought (remember I'm new to brewing so its just an idea) how about doing a can and a third or a can and a half? I'm going to make a stout for my old man soon. Please let me know what you did and how it turned out.
:cheers:

Hi guys thanks for the replys . I haven't done this one before but done one can kits before and always found mine to be watery . Could I just do one tin and do it really short say 18 litres ?

Also Antony I was thinking about woodfords wherry with some spray malt 500g . If I do choice it should i get some hops . Ie: the tea bag ones ?

Hey mate,

First off, I'm doing a wilko stout at 18l currently, unfortunately I won't know the results for a few weeks. The wherry with dark spraymalt was good, but some dry hopping or a hop tea would definitely improve it. However it would be close to a best bitter. So it may be easier to just get a best bitter kit.

Ant.

Thanks Antony . Think I will have to do a bit more research . Got till the weekend as want to get it all sorted before I go on holiday . Want it for Xmas really . I was going to go for santas winter warmer but keep changing my mind . :doh:

Im very new to homebrew. Today I got 2 tins of this Wilko stout with some medium malt some beerkit enhancer some sugar and some yeast nutrient. Im going to get a tin of black treacle too. No idea of how much of each to use though. Im not too bothered about the taste, I'll be pleased with it being my creation whatever the outcome! lol :cheers:

So did it work using 2 tins???

Latest posts

Back