The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05grottim

Reaction score
Hi guys long time reader but a new member.

Have been really confused about starting either all grain or malt extract brewing and thought i should come here and ask for help. At the moment i've got all the basics but i dont have a boiler or a mash tun which sounds important? What i was wondering though is instead of forking out £100+ for a boiler whether i could just have a metal pot much like this: (can't post a link but its on the malt miller and its called a 33 litre stainless steel boiler for £65) and stick it on a hob for effective brewing? I also saw a cheap version you could make yourself in a guide posted on here using tesco value kettles. Is that an effective way of doing things for cheap? I'm sure you get these questions all the time but i was browsing and couldn't find a guide for a complete beginner who doesnt fully understand all the equipment and things like that? Was wondering if there was a good step by step guide to brewing using malt extract which sounds easier than all grain? I've been brewing with kits and ive got all the stuff required to brew with those however i was wondering what equipment id need to start brewing with the boiling and things like that? Sorry for asking such basic questions but i'm very confused haha!

Sorry I don't do beer but thought I should get your post approved tonight - you may have to wait until tomorrow for the beer brewers to turn up with answers

Welcome. :cheers: If you are planning on AG as the next step from extract brewing you need to plan ahead a little bit. For AG you will need a HLT, Mash Tun and a boiler. The HLT and boiler can be combined as long as you don't mind putting the run off from the mash into a separate bucket, and then transfer back to the HLT for the boil. I did it that way to start with. Depending on the size of brew you plan to make the boiler needs to be big enough, so that should be your starting point. A boiler about 35lt will let you do 25lt brews without worrying about it boiling over. There are a few who make them from plastic buckets which is cheaper than shiney steel, and they work just as well. Depends on your budget. There is a how to by Big Yin showing how to convert a pan/bucket with tesco elements. I've done it and it is fairly straight forward if you are reasonably handy at DIY.

Another method of AG is Brew in a Bag method. Have a look around at that. BIAB is how it is commonly written. That only involves one big pan/bucket for the mash and boil. So a lot simpler.

welcome to the world of home brewing and the Forum

Before you do anything, have a read of as many How to's as possible

viewforum.php?f=30

Then decide which method appeals to you 3 vessel brewing or Biab brewing
Neither is better and both let you produce good beers.
Actually 3 vessel brewing, ( hlt boiler and mash tun ) can be managed in the first instance with 2 vessels by combing the hlt and boiler in one pot, bit of faffing but its manageable. Going this way means you can use something like a Burco boiler ( a large tea urn ! ) and a coolbox type of mash tun.

Aim for a minimum brew capacity of 23 liters, which means you need the boiler to be able to hold at least 30 liters of liquid.
Biggest decision you will make at the begining is whether to buy ready to go, or to go the DIY way. Thats up to you and their are good how to builds available here on the forum.
Malt Millers stock pots are ideal and well worth the expence, they will last you a lifetime. If poss get one that incorporates its own heating system ( kettle elements etc ) as usung the kitchen cooker brings its own problems ...especially with wives for some unknown reason.

Latest posts

Back