Boots Lager kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsains

Reaction score
My father in law has kindly given me a Boots 40 pint lager kit. Best before end of April 99

What do you think - will it have kept? There's a sachet of yeast in there which may be worth replacing.

The yeast would most certainly need replacing :lol: :lol:

But 14 yrs out of date I bet the malt won't be up to much. :evil:

highly concentrated sugar, canned. it'll be fine, like you both say, with the yeast replaced.

shame it's a lager. :lol: I'm actually interested to see what you think. it's from the age of "god, arn't boots beer kits awful?" so it'd be nice to get a first hand experience

Give it a go and let us know how it gets on? (Change the yeast, of course)

Great - I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes. I wasn't too bothered about brewing lager but as it's free it's worth a go.

If it doesn't taste great I can always give him some bottles as a xmas present! :lol:

Isn't That Homebrew Twang a symtom of old malt extract?

:hmm: :hmm:

If I am right there will be a lot of THT in that brew. :hmm:

iceo said:
if it brews . put a bottle in the secret Santa :twisted: :whistle:

Please dont :D

Unless pre fermentation aging does something magical to it, in which case do :D

RobWalker said:
highly concentrated sugar, canned. it'll be fine, like you both say, with the yeast replaced.

shame it's a lager. :lol: I'm actually interested to see what you think. it's from the age of "god, arn't boots beer kits awful?" so it'd be nice to get a first hand experience

Trust my Rob they where fairly awful and I don't suppose ageing will improve it.

Found similar when mucking the old dears attic out - a beer kit with the price still on it. They still had 1/2ps when it was sold ...

dennisking said:
RobWalker said:

Trust my Rob they where fairly awful and I don't suppose ageing will improve it.
I actually know that a member here (no names, no pack drill ;) ) won the kit beer category at the Sutton Beer competition (Now LAB competition) with two out of date Boots kits. He subsequently went on to become quite an accomplished commercial brewer . . . .

I did a Boots lager kit with my Dad once (probably 30 years ago). It was awful when new so I wouldn't fancy one that is that old.

Aleman said:
dennisking said:
RobWalker said:

I actually know that a member here (no names, no pack drill ;) ) won the kit beer category at the Sutton Beer competition (Now LAB competition) with two out of date Boots kits. He subsequently went on to become quite an accomplished commercial brewer . . . .

The stuff my Dad made was the worst beer I have ever tasted. I have 3 brothers, and we all enjoy a pint, but none of us would touch it. I bought him decent kits from my local shop but he said he preferred the Boots ones. It has been said in the family his passing coincided with Boots stopping selling kits.

dennisking said:
The stuff my Dad made was the worst beer I have ever tasted. I have 3 brothers, and we all enjoy a pint, but none of us would touch it. I bought him decent kits from my local shop but he said he preferred the Boots ones. it has been said in the family his passing coincided with Boots stopping selling kits.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

well the god awful HBT would dissipate with age in the bottle.. in the tin it may get concentrated need ing a few more decades to mature in the bottle when brewed?

Funny, just recently a new member was asking if Boots still did kits ........ I guess yours was one of the last. Could be worth a bomb as a collectors item :P

Does anyone here remember using them ..... what were they like?

Pjam said:
Funny, just recently a new member was asking if Boots still did kits ........ I guess yours was one of the last. Could be worth a bomb as a collectors item :P

Does anyone here remember using them ..... what were they like?

Fondly.. a big city boots would have a whole isle dedicated to kits n equipment,
The boots ally PB sitting on the top shelf for the princely cost of cira £25

the kits.. lager was the worst for THBT and was the first kit i did, in corona pop bottles iirc with the easy to crush n deform tin screw on lids :)
and of course as it was the first kit i did i believed the instruction sheet when it said ready to drink in X days (28 i think) so me and me pal Paul cracked em and struggled to sup em... i do remember the face my pal pulled as he supped and the following hangover.. the remaining bottles got left alone for months and finally when i picked up the courage to taste again. -- Not Bad, Not Bad at all, the dry laquory taste had gone , and the yeast had settled nicely and resisted mixing when poured. few days latter i had a tom caxton kit on the go..

Latest posts

Back