Update....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lengie10

Reaction score
Thought I would post an update.

Been officially brewing now for 7 days. Bought a brewing 'starter' kit on eBay a few weeks ago for £50 and came complete with 2x FV's, pressure barrel, 80+ bottles and all the other gubbins. Had a look, spent a few hours cleaning and working out what is what and finally got my first kit into the FV last Monday (St. Peter's ruby red) All looks ok...was very frothy in the FV which now appears to have subsided. (Not sure what this means) it's been at 19 - 21 degrees throughout and has been tucked away safely and not touched since putting the lid on. Plan to leave it til midweek (10 days) and then put it into the pressure barrel to finish. Still undecided whether to bottle or leave it in the barrel but have heard its a good beer so only time will tell.

Bought a wilco apple cider kit today (wife likes a bit of cider and need to keep her sweet) And planning to get that on this week so that it's through the FV and into bottle ready for Easter weekend bbq!!

If anyone's got any thoughts or tips then please send them my way.

I would leave it a bit longer before putting into you pb. 2 weeks at least. Then rack into your other FV and move to a cooler place for another week. Then move to your pb or bottle. Leaving it longer lets it clear a bit more and allows the yeast to clean up. I know the instructions say it ferments in x days, but by leaving it you get a better beer. You could also throw in a handful of hops if you have any. Put in a muslin bag with a stainless teaspoon to weigh it down.

Thanks for this. Just to clarify...leaving it for the extra week in the initial FV won't do it any harm? It doesn't seem to be doing much and I don't want it to ruin? Also..racking off to the second FV......do I add sugar at this point or do I wait til I rack off to the barrel/bottle? Finally...with all this in mind...am I to assume its 2 weeks for initial FV, 1 week in second FV then 2 more in bottle/barrel?

P.s.....which is best..barrel or bottle?

hello
the yeast krausen which is produced near on straight away, will when fermented out drop fall out which is good

if you have a hydrometer take a measurement if the results of the test are the same over 2 days then thats a sign that primary fermentation has finished 1.012 or under 1.008 etc

then if you have a spare fermenter it is for [clearer beer] to re rack your beer leaving the yeast cake behind do not induce any air when racking and you will be ok
at this point you can condition the beer for another week or so then re rack to your keg or bottling bucket

if you wish to dry hop put the hops in your secondary fermenter and re rack your beer onto it seal add blow off tube or leave your lid ajar what ever you normally do leave this untill your hops start to sink 4 to 9 days then as before rerack to your bottling bucket or keg
:drink:

Latest posts

Back