New to homebrew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about to start my Golden Ale Kit from wilkos this weekend.

I know this goes against the grain, but how do I brew a slightly weaker beer? (Ideally about 3.8 percent)

Load of advice online for making a stronger ale but none about how to reduce the ABV of the end beer.

As a new beer maker I would appreciate your wisdom. :thumb:

According to the box it is only 4% anyway I guess you could dilute it a little more? does this kit actually come out at an accurate ABV? a long time since I made kits but from what I remember they never actually used to kit their target abv anyway.

I know this goes against the grain, but how do I brew a slightly weaker beer? (Ideally about 3.8 percent)

Load of advice online for making a stronger ale but none about how to reduce the ABV of the end beer.

Hi!
The kit makes a beer that's supposed to finish at 4%. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the 0.2% difference.
However, if you are determined to get a 3.8% beer, simply add a little more water at the beginning of fermentation.
EDIT: Covrich typing faster again :lol:

You could add less fermentables (sugar/DME) or more water (ending up with more beer :mrgreen:)

Ok now am ****** off :(

Been away for a week since I last tried but went to pour a pint and got about 1/4 then flow stopped :( Seeing as I was taking lid of to reseal I poured a pint but as I undone the lid I heard the hiss as the pressure was released so now I'm confused ... is it a bad seal causing the lack of flow or something else?

Two likely causes are not sealed, or no secondary fermentation, but not sealing is most likely. You've re-primed and re-seated the cap once or twice. Did you take the cap washer out and hot soak it? You said you used vaseline and didn't over-tighten. Maybe the tap's the culprit - any sign of leakage around it?

Back