suggestions for tweaking a basic lager kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helluvatractor

Reaction score
hi all ,

i bought a slightly out of date tooheys special lager kit from my lhbs and i plan to tweak it a bit. i have some styrian goldings dried hops.

i thought i might add to the kit ; 500g light dme, 1kg dextrose, and about 40grams of the hops placed in a muslin bag and put in the fermenter from the start.

also thought i might discard the out of date yeast sachet and use some coopers ale yeast i have.

i'd like to get a very light , hoppy style beer with a bit of strength to it (maybe 4.5 - 5%)

i've never dry hopped before, is this the best way?, or would i be better to boil them in the muslin bag and pour the liquor in.

any suggestions welcomed, thanks.

This type of approach worked very well for me and produced a very hoppy beer. Craig from Moose-land Canada gives the hops a bit of a boil with the DME and then just chucks the whole lot in the fermenter. A sort of "cop fer that" approach. You need a good sized pot, but not that big. The hops are just for flavour. An interesting and entertaining link here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL5IaFD5k7g[/ame]

Yeah, OK, so - he's like my grandad who had to emigrate.

cheers mate, i've watched loads of craigtube vids, i find him very entertaining, must have missed that one though. i think i got a big enough pot for boiling 500g of dme and some hops, so happy days.

Bear in mind that if you boil the hops it may well make the beer more bitter, unless only boiling for a short period.

cheers mate, i've watched loads of craigtube vids, i find him very entertaining, must have missed that one though. i think i got a big enough pot for boiling 500g of dme and some hops, so happy days.

Nice one, glad you liked it. Please let us know how it goes. I thought the hops might be floating around in the finished brews I did, but they aren't.

Latest posts

Back