American Amber Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just don't leave it too long: strong dark beers get better and better with age but I found the hoppier beers come good earlier, just found a rogue bottle of AAA from last May and it was past it's best as the hoppiness had reduced too much.

They have just brought a new beer out,Hipsway,had it tonight,bland **** !
Hope they don't just churn out anything for a profit but they do have a large range already.
Homebrews better :cheers:
thats a pity, a real pity - i have come to appreciate their March of the Penguins Stout, I had one and then had a Midnight Sun immediately afterwards, it was amazing just how sweet the Midnight Sun was by comparison.

Just don't leave it too long: strong dark beers get better and better with age but I found the hoppier beers come good earlier, just found a rogue bottle of AAA from last May and it was past it's best as the hoppiness had reduced too much.

Thats what I get a bit conflicted about, it says that this is best enjoyed a few months and some people here agree.. But I worry the hop punch will diminish by then..

I tend to drink my brews over a few months (I don't just make one and drink that but a few)

So I will be interested to see how it develops.

I do the same, which is why I still have the odd one left from last summer's brew. These were great right through the summer and autumn, I think it just started to lose it's hoppy kick after 6 months in the bottle.

I've got the amber ale brewing now and I'm hoping it's as good as the American IPA which I've just finished this weekend. By far the best kit I've done so far, full of flavour and an absolute ton of hoppiness . I usually leave my beers for a couple of months but tried one after 3 weeks and it tasted fantastic, by 5 weeks I'd supped the lot. A truly great pint and I'm off to buy another 1 tomorrow

If you gents come across a clone kit for New Belgium's Fat Tire I suggest that you try it. It was the first craft beer that SWMBO and I could agree on and it's a much more unique American amber than the many others I've tried. To me most American ambers are all too similar. But Fat Tire certainly did their own thing. It has a bit of a biscuity bready taste.

Some beers, those that are really hop focused, like IPAs, are best drunk as fresh as possible. I reckon this makes for a problem with kit/extract brews, which benefit from aging. I think IPAs, all grain, are best after 2-4 weeks conditioning time, the hoppiness diminishes after that.

A good reason to try the simple all grain method if you've never done AG and bung loads of late hops in and dry hop it!

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51779

I'm just finishing my second batch of AAA and to be perfectly honest,this is nowhere as good as the first ???? It tastes under primed although still nice biscuity/toffee flavours ? Now I'm thinking the IPA is miles ahead,of course it may be down to me as there are so many variables when brewing.
All good though and on to the next brew.
Cheers :cheers:

Ok,giving this another try,pitched yeast at 9pm last night and by 6am this morning airlock was bubbling away.
Will update for anyone interested in doing this kit (even though all the kit brewers seem to have vanished) 😁

Ok,giving this another try,pitched yeast at 9pm last night and by 6am this morning airlock was bubbling away.
Will update for anyone interested in doing this kit (even though all the kit brewers seem to have vanished) 😁

I think a lot of them have moved on to doing partial mash & full grain brews...myself included.

I think there are quite a few of you knocking about.

I am only guessing here but I think with a lot more processes and technicalities including even single recipe items or a equipment there will generally be more discussion points to extract and all grain so it may appear like there are more of us..

I have seen a lot of kit brewers and threads about kits, pimping a kit ect dry hopping a bitter ect

I should add whilst I only ever made a handful of beer kits, this one AAA was my best (and last) .. I never did any other Youngs craft ones though

Thinking of making my dad this kit for Christmas. Will I need to buy any brew enhancers or sugar etc or is it all in kit?

This has fermented out in three days :shock:
Last time I done this it was almost ten days I think or maybe even a fortnight?????? Maybe Youngs have copied coopers and added something to the yeast?
Anyhow, hops added,smells ace.

I'm just conditioning the American Pale Ale. It's been two weeks in bottles. I'm itching to get at it, but I'm desperately trying to follow the one week per % final ABV tenet!!!

Aaaaaargh, the waiting !!:?

The new wave of beer kits (Festival, Youngs etc.) are really amazing. I haven't tried the Amber Ale yet but I did make the American Pale Ale and it was excellent. Have some friends round for a BBQ, gave them a sample and they couldn't believe it was home brew. Said it was excellent. I'm also planning to make the American Mocha Porter kit, which I will bottle, in time for Christmas.

This has fermented out in three days :shock:
Last time I done this it was almost ten days I think or maybe even a fortnight?????? Maybe Youngs have copied coopers and added something to the yeast?
Anyhow, hops added,smells ace.

Is it somewhere temperature controlled e.g. a brew fridge, or just at ambient? If at ambient it's still quite warm at the moment so could be quite vigorous.

Back