New to all grain brewing, brewing with less water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrewersBible

Reaction score
Heya,

New to all grain and have myself a Burco boiler 24l and I am intending to brew in the bag.

My question is, with my kettle not taking enough water to cope with boil off, can I boil & top up with water as and when required then level off to 25l in the fermenter?

Would welcome you tips without having to buy/spend lots.

Heya,

New to all grain and have myself a Burco boiler 24l and I am intending to brew in the bag.

My question is, with my kettle not taking enough water to cope with boil off, can I boil & top up with water as and when required then level off to 25l in the fermenter?

Would welcome you tips without having to buy/spend lots.

Yes. But as I have learned recently when you top off with water in the FV you are effectively 'diluting' the IBUs of your hops so you need to adjust your receipe(basically add more hops) to account for the lower hop utilization due to dilution.

Curiously enough if your constantly topping up your boiler with water you don't have to adjust hop utilization for dilution in the boiler as the IBUs to volume doesn't change.

Latest posts

Back