Evil dog IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colliefish

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I've had this in the fv for 3 weeks now. It was at 17 degrees but is now at a stable 20. It hasn't stopped bubbling at all. Slowed a little now. Bubbler Valve goes about every 45 seconds. Any recommendations as to when I should add the hops. I was going to put it in as soon as the bubbling stops and leave it for 3 or 4 days.

Cheers

I'm in the same boat. My Evil Dog just kept on going as well but I finally went ahead and hopped yesterday, a full 21 days after starting it off.
It's still bubbling, although a lot slower. I'm hoping it will have stopped by Thursday so I can bottle it then, but I wouldn't be surpeised even now if I'd jumped the gun a bit with the hops.
I also asked if I could wait until all activity ceased but got a couple of replies saying that it's better to hop whilst fermentation is active. Not sure how necessary this is though.

If conditioning takes as long proportionately as fermenting then this beer will be just about ready for Christmas 2015...:roll:

I know what you mean, It's just relentless, I havn't done a gravity reading yet, didn't really see the point while it's still bubbling.

I did this kit as my first brew. I just followed instructions that came with kit and kegged it after about 10/12 days. Left it warm for a week then put to chill. It tasted good at that point but it's been left a good few weeks now chilling and I think it's one of the nicest beers I've drank in a good while. Mine ended up about 8-8.5% so it's like rocket fuel. It ideal carbonation and taste sublime. Will be doing another one of these soon once my festival landlord kit is put to chill.

Bunglebrewsbeer, that's encouraging, good to know colliefish and I will eventually have something worth the wait. Strange that your fermentation finished so much sooner than ours. What was your temp like?

My temp was a bit messed up to start. And was rather chilly not much action bubble wise. I sought guidance at brew shop and they said herbs hear belt round base. Did that and never checked for a few days this raised it quite high but after tinkering got it round to about 23/24 and left it at that. I just followed instruction to letter with timings as no ideas otherwise and it turned out Damn good. I was so impressed I started drinking it too early really and now it's settled and chilled the flavours are to me perfect and just wish I wasn't as keen to get supping initially and had more left.

Kegged after 10 to 12 days. Lucky you :-). I'm on day 26 and it's still bubbling. Though it has slowed to once every 2 and a half minutes so I'm adding hops tonight.

Was at 17 for 2 weeks. Then bought heater and controller. Now at 20 for 2 weeks. Had a fg of 1006 for the last 3 days so bottling now. If was 1067

Mine was 1072 and kegged it at 1012. Mine was at about 23 so that's Prob why was ready quicker I guess from my very limited knowledge on the subject.

Well mine is now all bottled following the instructions for batch priming, I really didn't like the smell of the hops whwen I removed it :-o.
Its now resting in the spare room in a waterproof container in case of any bottle bombs, though i doubt it.
This was in the FV for a total of 30 days with a FG of 1006.
Temp for the first 2 weeks was only 17 but I then purchased a brew belt and temp controller and brought it up to 20 for the next 2 weeks.
It had cleared well when I bottled but I wasn't too keen on the taste, I'm hoping this improves dramatically through conditinoing. :drunk:

The hops Mellow out after a bit. At first they are a bit potent but after a while it tastes really good. Each to their own taste of course but for me it's one of the nicest beers I've drank at home. And my Mrs who was very sceptical of my new hobby and dubious of home made beer said she'd even go as far as to pay for a pint of it. Mines kegged and very good. Sure bottles will be same. I'll be getting another one on the go in the new year.

"I'm hoping this improves dramatically through conditioning"

By all accounts that's exactly what it does, which is good news because mine also didn't taste great at bottling.

Bbb, how long did it take for yours to become delicious? Or was it already nice at kegging?

It will have to go a long way to be as nice (though different) than the ruby red that I just started. Mmmmmmm

Bbb. The secret with wives is to admit when you're wrong and be quiet when you're right :-)

I kept tasting mine after a week in the keg still warm. And tasted nice. Drank too much though in hindsight as when put to chill and left a while it got even better by my opinion.

Latest posts

Back