Burco Cygnet 30 litre boiler - new tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaquiss2005

Reaction score
Bought one of these last week to use as an HLT, but knew I would have to swap tap out for a ball valve one.

When took tap off, the hole in the boiler is an odd shape! "Half moons" at top and bottom, and straight sides.

Looking on various threads looks like only option is a Qmax cutter to make round hole?? Is there any other options, using rubber washers etc to produce an effective seal?

Your ball valve thread will be round I should imagine. If you can lay your hands on a Q-cutter that's probably the way ahead. Might struggle to get a good seal otherwise.

Just bumping this old thread rather than start a new one.

Did you need to cut the hole to fit a ball valve? I'm looking to get a boiler soon and just passed up a 40L buffalo because ice seen quite a few people saying they cut out.

Burco is top of my list but will be a pain if I have to faff about engaging the hole. There is also more dead space, so I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision to avoid the Buffalo.

So can anyone confirm. Do you need to modify the hole in a 30L burco to fit a 1/2" ball valve.

Or can anyone confirm that they can get a good rolling boil from a 40L buffalo without it cutting out or blowing a thermal fuse?

Back