Fruit Beer - Extract Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steviewell

Reaction score
Hi all

I was kindly given a Cooper's Mexican cerveza recently.
Its in the primary FV just now. I usually rack to a secondary FV just to help clear - especially with lager type beers which I think benefit particularly.

I have a couple of 5l glass demijohns and I'm tinkering with the idea of using one for some of the secondary fermentation and adding a bit of fruit (maybe even some lime, create the "carling zest" etc which seem to be in fashion).

Is it as simple as just chucking in some fruit in the secondary and hoping for the best? I am thinking that fruit has sugar, which must have an effect on the alcohol level etc???? Should I add finings first to "kill" the yeast and prevent more fermentation??

If it is as simple as this, how much fruit should I add?? (be that lime, strawberry, apple etc etc...).

Any input appreciated please!

cheers :drink:

Hi all

I was kindly given a Cooper's Mexican cerveza recently.
Its in the primary FV just now. I usually rack to a secondary FV just to help clear - especially with lager type beers which I think benefit particularly.

I have a couple of 5l glass demijohns and I'm tinkering with the idea of using one for some of the secondary fermentation and adding a bit of fruit (maybe even some lime, create the "carling zest" etc which seem to be in fashion).

Is it as simple as just chucking in some fruit in the secondary and hoping for the best? I am thinking that fruit has sugar, which must have an effect on the alcohol level etc???? Should I add finings first to "kill" the yeast and prevent more fermentation??

If it is as simple as this, how much fruit should I add?? (be that lime, strawberry, apple etc etc...).

Any input appreciated please!

cheers :drink:

If you're bottling the brew, you'll need yeast and sugar to carbonate it.

I'm not sure finings will kill the yeast anyway.

I've used concentrated polish syrup to get a raspberry flavour, but I put that in the primary FV and ended up with 8% abv :-)

this link may help....

http://byo.com/hops/item/679-fruit-brew-part-2-techniques

Hi again, thanks for the input.

After 2 weeks in the primary, gravity @ a stead 1.01 and transferred to a secondary.

I ended up putting 450g of frozen mango into a 5l demijohn and filling 80% up (left some head space intentionally).
I defrosted the mango first in a pan, heating up to about 70-80C ish and leaving for 10 mins as a crude attempt at pasteurisation.

Question is, how can I tell the final %ABV reading of the mango lager now? I assume the gravity changed when I added the mango (forgot to check, although it was pretty separated at initial stage anyway :? ) plus, presumably a different FG next week.

Any input much appreciated!!!

Hi again, thanks for the input.

After 2 weeks in the primary, gravity @ a stead 1.01 and transferred to a secondary.

I ended up putting 450g of frozen mango into a 5l demijohn and filling 80% up (left some head space intentionally).
I defrosted the mango first in a pan, heating up to about 70-80C ish and leaving for 10 mins as a crude attempt at pasteurisation.

Question is, how can I tell the final %ABV reading of the mango lager now? I assume the gravity changed when I added the mango (forgot to check, although it was pretty separated at initial stage anyway :? ) plus, presumably a different FG next week.

Any input much appreciated!!!

EDITTED AFTER CHECKING MY FIGURES:

I am having the same deliberations about making a stout and adding recently picked blackberries. No expert but here is my thinking:

If you type in google 'how much sugar in mango' it reports back 14g per 100g of Mango. Assuming this is correct you have effectively added 60-65grams of sugar to your 4litre brew.

This would be broadly equivalent to adding 360g of sugar to a full length 23litre brew which would raise your gravity by about 6 points giving you roughly an extra 0.8% ABV.

So if your ABV was 4.5% it would now be 5.3% with the mango.

Assumes the sugars in the mango are fully converted by the yeast.

As mentioned this is only my thoughts, and is quite rough, not sure if others have a different opinion ?

I am having the same deliberations about making a stout and adding recently picked blackberries. No expert but here is my thinking:

If you type in google 'how much sugar in mango' it reports back 14g per 100g of Mango. Assuming this is correct you have effectively added 60-65grams of sugar to your 4litre brew.

This would be broadly equivalent to adding 360g of sugar to a full length 23litre brew which would raise your gravity by about 3 points giving you roughly an extra 0.4% ABV.

So if your ABV was 4.5% it would now be 4.9% with the mango.

Assumes the sugars in the mango are fully converted by the yeast.

As mentioned this is only my thoughts, and is quite rough, not sure if others have a different opinion ?

Don't see any problems on the arithmetic, Covrich, but to my way of seeing it, the main issue is Pectin.

Pectin is what makes jam set and beer hazy. The thing to do is get a small winemaking bucket / fermenter and add pectolase (pectin removing agent) overnight. That helps, but does not ever fully address the issue that adding fruit to beer has hazyness issues.

I've done kit lagers with Blackberries in the past (not keen on doing so again, TBH) and the main problem with fruit in beer is the pectin content. This is sort of "smoothed over" in the Coopers "Blushing Blonde" recipe.

It's not so much that it does not improve a kit beer, because in a lot of ways it does. it's just that the time spent picking berries and messing with them could be better spent steeping (or even mashing) grains and boiling hops.

The syrups sound a good bet, though.

This would be broadly equivalent to adding 360g of sugar to a full length 23litre brew which would raise your gravity by about 3 points giving you roughly an extra 0.4% ABV.

Really appreciate the response thanks. There is clearly so much I still have to learn about brewing! How do you work out the above, is there a calculation etc somewhere? Ive done a few HB batches, but still a newbie for sure!

Slid - also appreciate your input, but sounds way advanced for me!

cheers:drink:

I have editted my post above after checking my figures.

From adding additional sugar to raise my starting gravity, I found that adding 125g of brew sugar raised the starting gravity by 2 points - for example, takes it from 1.044 to 1.046

I use that as a general yard stick now for raising starting gravity if required.

Really appreciate the response thanks. There is clearly so much I still have to learn about brewing! How do you work out the above, is there a calculation etc somewhere? Ive done a few HB batches, but still a newbie for sure!

Slid - also appreciate your input, but sounds way advanced for me!

cheers:drink:

Totally agree, it is a real faff to do all that pectolase stuff just to tart up a kit. For a newbie, DME and a quick boil with some hops is the easist way to improve it.

Just a quick update having now made the beer it is conditioning in the garage :smile:
Used frozen mango, having first defrosted it on the hob.

Time will tell.....

Latest posts

Back