Update

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSW

Reaction score
As you know I started a Beaverdale Nebbiolo Two and a half weeks ago and finally degassed it today.

I mentioned the other day that from the looking at the wine in the fermenter, it didn't seem it needed fining/filtering but on closer observation e.g. in the glass it isn't as 'sparkly clear' as conventional wine is.

It's not a problem i.e. nothing floating about ect but simply a certain dullness to it that would imply not clear.

My query is -

Will maturation of a few months make the dullness disappear?

And -

The quality wines I have seen that state ''unfined and unfiltered'' are dull in appearance or the wine maker still gets a clear end result by multiple racking? physical filtering such as muslin cloth?

Edit - the couple of glasses I've just had aren't dullish anymore. No I'm not drunk neither LOL.

Edit 2nd - It's when I get to a little amount in the glass it gets the dullish nature, a full glass doesn't seem to have that effect.

Anyway I'm happy and it's getting matured till' Christmas eve.

They're lead free hand made glasses thank you. :lol:

It's hard to explain, it's obvious that the wine has not been cleared once you get a little bit in the glass but a full glass doesn't show that characteristic.

If the dullness you refer to is sediment related it will have dropped out by Christmas for sure, if it hasnt you will be drinking dull but great tasting wine.

If you saw the cloudy wines we used to drink when i first started racking with a standard Wilko syphon and tap (it was too short so i extended the pick up tube many months ago) you wouldn't worry as yours sounds crystal clear in comparison, BTW it did us no harm.

Latest posts

Back