Galaxy Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodabod

Reaction score
Brewing this for a home brew group (we are following the same recipe and comparing results).

So, here it is:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Leytonstone Pale Ale

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 20 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 25 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 71% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 5.39%
IBU (tinseth): 42.62
SRM (morey): 7.1

FERMENTABLES:
4 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (86%)
0.4 kg - United Kingdom - Wheat (8.6%)
0.25 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 30L (5.4%)

HOPS:
15 g - Galaxy, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 14.25, Use: First Wort, IBU: 16.11
20 g - Galaxy, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 14.25, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 17.6
25 g - Galaxy, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 14.25, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 100 °C, IBU: 8.91
40 g - Galaxy, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 14.25, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 68.5 C, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

-------------------

The whirlpool addition was actually held for 20mins as it was naturally cooling, before filtering and chilling with my plate chiller.

Chilling is always a bit of a faff, but this time I used a re-circulation method which is easier, and get the whole tank of wort down to reasonable temperatures almost immediately. Here's a photo:

OnnyOrYl.jpg

Sampled a couple of weeks after bottling. It's a excellent, but spoiled slightly by a certain astringency which tastes like when you chew a wet hop. I've had a look, and apparently Galaxy can be quite astringent when used for dry-hopping, and I used 40g.

Live and learn!

How do plate chillers work?

It's just a heat exchanger like you find in a gas boiler. It's copper inside and has a large surface area. You pump cold water into one half of it which is isolated from the other half which has the hot wort in it. The heat can transfer, but the liquids never actually touch directly. It's very fast.

Sampled a couple of weeks after bottling. It's a excellent, but spoiled slightly by a certain astringency which tastes like when you chew a wet hop. I've had a look, and apparently Galaxy can be quite astringent when used for dry-hopping, and I used 40g.

Live and learn!

I do love galaxy.

can't say i've noticed the astringency, and my latest brew has 50G of galaxy & 50g amarillo dry-hopped in 20 litres for 5 days :hmm:

Did you use pellets or cones?

The astringency tastes a bit like chewing on the end of a pencil. Or chewing on a wet hop cone after using it for dry-hopping.

Pellets, dry hopped in a muslin bag.

not had that chewed end of pencil experience. Not that i'd want to re-create school days :-)

Latest posts

Back