AG #2, lots of hops!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toredan

Reaction score
AG #2

Grain bill:

1750g pale malt
200g crystal rye (all I had)

Hops:

Galaxy: 10g in mash
30g boil start
10g 15m
40g flameout

Citra: 10g @ 15m
Simcoe: 10g @ 15m
Mosiac: 10g @ 15m

Went with the hop weights based off of a Greg Hughes recipe for 'hoppy' IPA. Galaxy I happened to have a 100g bag off, the other 10gs were all from MQ's awesome hops taster pack offer.

Total boil time 10m and ended up with 13L.

Guessing I didn't add enough pale malt because my wort only came out at 1.026 at room temp. Added a 500g bag of light spray malt I had and 500g of white sugar to bring it up to 1.045. Will know better for next time on grain bill. This is the first time using my electrim mash boiler so perhaps I expected more water loss. Anyway, chilled down in the sink to 25c and threw in 1/2 a litre of slurry left from my previous AG. Used Mangrove Jack's 07 yeast for British Ales. Fingers crossed no infection this time :)

I think your calculations were wrong, you wouldnt get 1045 from that much malt I don't think. Were you aiming to make 10 litres?

Yep, 10L was the goal. I basically just reduced the recipe by %60 as that sounded reasonable. Live and learn I suppose :) It's only been around 9 hours and it's got a cracking head of krausen on it so I'm happy. Roll on two weeks till bottling time!

Been in the FV a week today. It's looking murky and airlock activity is well over. Not cracked it open to take a SG rating yet. If I remove the lid to the airlock and smell I get a wonderful grapefruit smell. Where can I buy some more patience? :)

There are things that money can't buy.

Like tasting your own home brew. :thumb:

Ok, had to update. I did it, I dropped in my wine thief and filled my trial jar. 1.012 and it tastes absolutely marvelous. I'm super excited! You've got yourself a new convert clibit :) Can't believe how easy that was and it tastes just like the super hoppy american ipa-type that I really enjoy.

You have an AG beer with Crystal rye, Galaxy, Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic! It's bound to be marvellous!

Yeah, just ordered enough hops to do another 23L batch :) as per your advice on other threads I'll be leaving this in the FV another week then bottling from there.

Hrm, had this in 2 DJs and decided today to rack to a secondary and dry hop for 4-5 days before bottling. Taste has definitely changed. Doesn't quite taste 'vinegary' but tastes and smells like beer that was left out last night. Damn, and this tasted so nice when I took a SG reading too. Like a completely different beer :( Maybe I let some infection in when I took the reading, who knows.

Oh no, I hope it's not ruined. Persevere with it, it might turn out to be ok. Got my fingers crossed for you. :thumb:

everything was sanitized too, dang it. If it turns out it is ruined I think I'll be replacing all my plastic stuff and cooking my glassware as this will be the third time so something must be up somewhere. :(

It could be that the hops smell/taste as dropped a little which will happen over time. Prime it and leave it condition, I bet it turns out ok. Rarely do I taste my beer during fermentation and think its nice.

So yeah, dry-hopped this with 60g of Galaxy for 3 days then bottled. It's been in the bottle for a week and my patience ran out so I've just cracked my first bottle. It's really nice! :) I'm sure it'll benefit from longer conditioning time but the taste is already a winner for me and a friend who sampled it with me.

HoppyIPA.jpg

Thanks for putting up with my whining Clibit ;-) Think after this experience I'll learn to be a bit more patient with my brews and learn to leave them alone to do their thing!

I've done it plenty myself. It's amazing how much things can change with conditioning. Glad it worked out well for you.

Latest posts

Back