Hi form Orkney Isles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi there,

And greetings from the Orkney Islands, (i see there is at least 1 other member from here already).

I have done many beer brews in the past, (used to live on a small island with no pub or off licence), but have not done so for 15 years. I am now getting back into it mainly because I have fitted a solar, water heating, system to my house, and it is working so well that we are having to run off hot water (85deg c) to prevent the collectors over heating. Instead of wasting it I am using it for cleaning equipment, preparing brews and, (in the future), heating a fermentation cupboard.

Thanks for reading, and I will probably be pestering a good few of you guys with questions in the future, so sorry in advance :cheers:

Dear me, an Orcadian who adds the word “Islands”, or is that just in the assumption that we're all ignorant?

For the ignorant, the old Norse suffix “ey” means “islands”, so that's repetition.

Orkneyak: Welcome to the forum :cheers:
Which part are you from?

By the way, the other Orcadian is craigite and I think he's from St. Mary's.

Welcome to the Forum Orkneyak, yet another back from the wilderness.
85c!!, you'll need to cool for both mashing and sparging. :mrgreen:

Thank you for the education Moley.
Is it not more a redundancy than a repetition?

ericstd said:
Thank you for the education Moley.
Is it not more a redundancy than a repetition?
Yes, I suppose you're right, but I didn't want to get into too much of a lecture and I hope I haven't scared off another newcomer.

To me, Orkney is a very special place, and I have been there several times and in all seasons. The people are nice too, and moreover I think they accept ‘ferryloupers’ who decide to stay, as long as you integrate and give something back to the community. It doesn't work that way in Shetland or the Hebrides, you will never be accepted and you may get hurt. Let's face it, Shetlanders even regard Orcadians as foreigners and with hostility.

Mrs. Mole and I would seriously consider moving there one day, in fact we nearly did six years ago, we came very close to buying a shop, post office and bar (Orkneyak may know it, the Mistra up at Evie) but the timing wasn't quite right, and then my father died and there's no way my mother would move, and now the kids are too far grown and we shouldn't disrupt their education, and .... well you know how life turns.

Hello and welcome to the forum, from another islander, Majorca for now, but hopefully the mainland tomorrow, fingers crossed.

I won't be putting your punctuation etc to rights though, "I have enough trouble with my own" :D

We look forward to some photos of your brewery. :thumb:

UP

Moley said:
Dear me, an Orcadian who adds the word “Islands”, or is that just in the assumption that we're all ignorant?

For the ignorant, the old Norse suffix “ey” means “islands”, so that's repetition.

Orkneyak: Welcome to the forum :cheers:
Which part are you from?

By the way, the other Orcadian is craigite and I think he's from St. Mary's.

Thank You

for both the welcome, and the education ;)

however, when the Norsemen settled in Orkney, they interpreted the older Gaelic name (insi orc) for Orkney to mean seal instead of pig, substituting the "orc" element for orkn, their word for seal. They added the suffix -eyjar meaning islands and the islands became known as Orkneyjar - the Seal Islands.

The name was finally shortened by later Scots speakers, who dropped the last syllable of the Norse name, leaving Orkney, so "ey" does not infact mean islands, "eyjar" does! so it is at least technically correct to say Orkney Islands :thumb: I do however need to learn to type better as from should not be spelt form!

I am currently in Kirkwall, having move in over 20 years ago from one of the smaller North isles. I look forward to sharing pictures of my set up as I am a fanatic tinkerer and love to recycle stuff. I do know the Mistra, I have been there several times on stagnight bus do's, enjoyed a nice drop or 2 there as well.

Aye aye!

Another Orcadian renewable energy brewer has arrived. So far though, these brews are done by wind power rather than solar, although the extra hot water cylinder fitted earlier this year does have a solar coil in readiness for solar panels when the roof gets redone next year!

My folks, and my mates folks brewed for decades, but it seemed to fall out of favour in the last 15 years or so. So between us, we've decided to revive the communal family tradition, and make use of some of the vast amount of hot water and space heating the wind turbine is churning out. The house is like a sauna half the time, neccesitating regular intakes of liquid to maintain hydration (! ;) ), and even though I have the input into the 2 hot water cylinders screwed down to a mere 750 watts, its still capable of heating about 300 litres of water a day to stinking hot! Perfect for washing and sterilising! The rest of the heat means that the whole house is warm enough to be an ale cupboard.

So at the moment, its find the feet with a couple of kits to get the hang of it, but the hope is to progress through extract brewing like our folks did, and maybe even some all grain fun! I have a notion to someday trying making ale from bere, but thats a long way off and may, or may not, ever happen!

Cheers

Windy

I quite fancy beer brew too. The thought kinda slipped from my mind but now someone mentions it.

Good luck with your brews Windymiller. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back