Cooper stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cqr

Reaction score
My cooper stout has stopped bubbling so planing to bottle next Friday
So I will get the next kit in,not sure on type yet
Can I ask a noob question please
I like strong beers, can I boost the %
I know I can't add suger half way though as per advice here 👍
Anything else I could try, difrent yeast may be ??
Any advice would be helpful

i would suggest trying what you have done and deciding if you like it first..

After that there are lots of options...brewing short being one adding or changing fermentables another..sometimes boosting the % by too much can have a vast effect on the taste and not always in a good way...

I bottled a Coopers stout last week and going to start another this week because it was amazing.
The ABV is 5.6% so if that's what you're looking for here's what I added.
1K of extra dark DME instead of sugar (gives better body and taste)
250g of Tate & Lyles Golden syrup
100g of dark treacle.
I disolved the syrup and treacle in 2 litres of warm water at 50c then added the DME then poured into the FV along with the can contents. I made an error adding more warm water like I've done in the past using kit only but won't make that mistake again because it took 2 hours to get down to 26c where I pitched the yeast. 26c is a bit high but it turned out ok. In future I will add cold water and keep an eye on the temperature.

Thank you wardy that's great
I like a strong tasting bear 👍👍

Coopers Stout is awesome ain't it?
The last I did was two cans in a 60L FV.
45L.
I added 2KG DME, 500G Maltodextrin (I believe this doesn't ferment out, just adds body) and a mini BIAB thingy following clibits simple method, of 1KG Maris Otter (I had it left over) and 500G of Chocolate Malt.
Even at bottling it tasted great!

Coopers Stout is awesome ain't it?
The last I did was two cans in a 60L FV.
45L.
I added 2KG DME, 500G Maltodextrin (I believe this doesn't ferment out, just adds body) and a mini BIAB thingy following clibits simple method, of 1KG Maris Otter (I had it left over) and 500G of Chocolate Malt.
Even at bottling it tasted great!

So you went ahead an bought a 60L FV in the end then? Which one did you go for?

Yeah, that big blue bugger.
I'll be using it for my stout, I split the bottling over two days, glad I did, but I've got loads of stout now, will last me ages. Good thing is, a lot of it will have time to mature for a few months.
I'm glad I bought it, the way the wherry is disappearing (funny how everyone wants to try homebrew just to see what's it like, then try it again) it'll be handy for another double batch of that soon.

I'll be using it for my stout, I split the bottling over two days, glad I did, but I've got loads of stout now, will last me ages. Good thing is, a lot of it will have time to mature for a few months.
I'm glad I bought it, the way the wherry is disappearing (funny how everyone wants to try homebrew just to see what's it like, then try it again) it'll be handy for another double batch of that soon.
Jelous. I've ordered another 42 bottles bringing my total to 160 plus a few bottles from ales I bought. I aim to do 2 21 litre brews per month but would love to do big batches like that to get things done once per month. Sterilising bottles and bottling 21 litres takes me 2 hours to do so a double batch would probably mash my head though.

Jelous. I've ordered another 42 bottles bringing my total to 160 plus a few bottles from ales I bought. I aim to do 2 21 litre brews per month but would love to do big batches like that to get things done once per month. Sterilising bottles and bottling 21 litres takes me 2 hours to do so a double batch would probably mash my head though.

Have a look into mini kegs/easy kegs. I've got space for only about 200 bottles but at the rate I get through my beer it only gets about 1 month conditioning max. I bought 4 mini kegs (which are going to get delived tommmorow parcel force tells me) and it means I can have now 4 brews conditoning rather than just three. The good thing about mini kegs is you can have them dotted around your house and not take up too much space unlike bottles which take up a lot of space. I'm definately considering getting some more and the first lot haven't even arrived yet :mrgreen:

I've got a load of stout at the mo too. I did 3x23L of the stuff one after another/consecutive weeks. Like you say it will give it a good lot of conditining which a good stout needs

Have a look into mini kegs/easy kegs. I've got space for only about 200 bottles but at the rate I get through my beer it only gets about 1 month conditioning max. I bought 4 mini kegs (which are going to get delived tommmorow parcel force tells me) and it means I can have now 4 brews conditoning rather than just three. The good thing about mini kegs is you can have them dotted around your house and not take up too much space unlike bottles which take up a lot of space. I'm definately considering getting some more and the first lot haven't even arrived yet :mrgreen:
Problem with mini kegs is I have no way of chilling them. This is my brew cupboard. A bit messy just now but there's a shelf out of shot above for equipment. Conditioning shelf at top of pic with 39 bottles of Stout on from last brew. Next shelf is fermentation shelf but just last batch of wine there just now and no brew on the go. Floor has 50 bottles of stout, 12 of which are ready to drink and 30 bottles if the Coopers lager that was my first batch from the starter kit.
I hope to get a small fridge to put under the fermentation shelf so a keg could be a good option then. Can you recommend any and does that mean no priming and using CO2 cartridges instead? View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1446496483259.jpg

Wardy, have you looked into sterilising bottles in the oven? It's very simple to do, painless and takes a lot of the 'leg work' out of bottling. I'll find the thread if you are interested.
I've a cellar and shed full of bottles now, both empty and full! To be 100% honest, I've never bought an empty beer bottle, pubs fall over themselves to give them away.
I wish I'd learnt about these easy kegs earlier though. As mentioned on the other easy keg thread, they seem pretty much perfect for a session brew that'll get necked in a day or two.

Wardy, have you looked into sterilising bottles in the oven? It's very simple to do, painless and takes a lot of the 'leg work' out of bottling. I'll find the thread if you are interested.
I've a cellar and shed full of bottles now, both empty and full! To be 100% honest, I've never bought an empty beer bottle, pubs fall over themselves to give them away.
I wish I'd learnt about these easy kegs earlier though. As mentioned on the other easy keg thread, they seem pretty much perfect for a session brew that'll get necked in a day or two.
If I get a fridge I might get some kegs. At the weekend I could easily drink 12 to 16 bottles. I kind of sterilise the bottles as I drink them. I clean each bottle and tip sterilising solution in from the last bottle I used and do that with the next. On bottling day I do the same again with all the bottles then rinse. Is starsan no rinse? I have that but not used it yet as I have a big tub of sterilising powder so it's the rinsing that takes up time but I don't mind it if the day is free and nothing to rush for. I don't think I would feel comfortable with sterilising in the oven.

Problem with mini kegs is I have no way of chilling them. This is my brew cupboard. A bit messy just now but there's a shelf out of shot above for equipment. Conditioning shelf at top of pic with 39 bottles of Stout on from last brew. Next shelf is fermentation shelf but just last batch of wine there just now and no brew on the go. Floor has 50 bottles of stout, 12 of which are ready to drink and 30 bottles if the Coopers lager that was my first batch from the starter kit.
I hope to get a small fridge to put under the fermentation shelf so a keg could be a good option then. Can you recommend any and does that mean no priming and using CO2 cartridges instead? View attachment 3278

Don't think MrsMQ would let me chuck all the food out the fridge and fill it with Easy Kegs so I'm kind in the same boat as you. I don't actually like beer straight out of the fridge anyway So a tip I picked up from Sonnal is to use plastic ice cubes in your beer. It works really well. You can control how cold you want your beer by putting different amounts in there. I find 4 gets a pint to cellar temp in short order.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-x-REUS...hash=item1c4d6415bd:m:mNRFVow2OWNrJsiAiwE68OA

The other option I spotted yesterday is a reusable keg cool jacket

http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/keg-cooling-jacket-1498-p.asp

Don't think MrsMQ would let me chuck all the food out the fridge and fill it with Easy Kegs so I'm kind in the same boat as you. I don't actually like beer straight out of the fridge anyway So a tip I picked up from Sonnal is to use plastic ice cubes in your beer. It works really well. You can control how cold you want your beer by putting different amounts in there. I find 4 gets a pint to cellar temp in short order.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-x-REUS...hash=item1c4d6415bd:m:mNRFVow2OWNrJsiAiwE68OA

The other option I spotted yesterday is a reusable keg cool jacket

http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/keg-cooling-jacket-1498-p.asp
I don't know why I didn't think of that. I have 10 novelty flashing plastic ice cubes meant for cocktails and never used them.
Another option for me is a fridge in the shed (which is the size of a garage). My wife has been wanting a chest freezer in there so that could be an option for a quick chill and a happy wife too.

After one week it's tastes very sweat/ a little vinegar like
Should I bottle and hope
I star sanded everything inc my hands
But did not remove the label from the can
Bin or bottle, opinions please does a stout taste like this after one week in the fv normally

Patience is a virtue!

If its ruined a couple of hours without an answer isnt going to change anything.

I agree chippy tea,
I'm a poet and I know it.
Bottle and hope is a joke.
Yeast seems dead and laid to rest.
Infection in there making vinegar.
If it was wine that would be fine.
Sprinkle it over fish and chips.

Sorry, I'll get my coat. It does sound like the brew has infection though with the key vinegar taste that will only get worse.

Patience is a virtue!

If its ruined a couple of hours without an answer isnt going to change anything.

Yes off course your right, and I apologise
I'am just pulling my hair out with worry lol
Think I'am going to bottle and do a round two
In a couple off weeks it will be good to drink,or good with chips lol

Back