Cooper stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good news for me :party:
I put 500cc in a bottle and asked my locale home brew shop for his thoults
He thinks it's fine even if the fg is 1003
So happy
All bottled so what's next lol

image.jpg

I will and thanks to the forum for the help/reading my noob questions and whinging

Well it's been in the bottle since the 4th
And one bottle in the fridge for 3.5 hours :whistle: I'am inpatient lol
Opened a bottle just now, not bad I like but needs longer

image.jpg

Quick question to all that have made this, is it supposed to have a fruity taste to it (slight wheat beer yeast fruity taste)? I made mine 23rd Oct barrelled 30th Oct and tasted last night.

I used 1kg dark spray malt and 500g brewing sugar. 1046 og and 1012 FG. It has carbonated well and smoothed out a lot but has a initial taste that I am unsure of, it could be the hops but I have nothing to compare it to.

Well it's been in the bottle since the 4th
And one bottle in the fridge for 3.5 hours :whistle: I'am inpatient lol
Opened a bottle just now, not bad I like but needs longer
Great! Everyone opens a bottle early, or at least I do. I even open a bottle every couple of weeks to check the progress and improvement that time gives. Each bottle tastes better and gains more body and I find myself wondering if I could resist it when I eventually open a bottle and think WOW then can't stop drinking them, how nice would they become.

Quick question to all that have made this, is it supposed to have a fruity taste to it (slight wheat beer yeast fruity taste)? I made mine 23rd Oct barrelled 30th Oct and tasted last night.

I used 1kg dark spray malt and 500g brewing sugar. 1046 og and 1012 FG. It has carbonated well and smoothed out a lot but has a initial taste that I am unsure of, it could be the hops but I have nothing to compare it to.

Not sure about that. I've done 5 brews with the Stout kit and the first one still has bottles left because it was kit and brew sugar only and tastes just ok. Each brew after that has had modifications but only using dark DME and extra ingredients. When I start AG I know the results will blow me away so based on you using brew sugar I would say that is making it taste less pleasing that you expect and conditioning will improve it.

Not sure about that. I've done 5 brews with the Stout kit and the first one still has bottles left because it was kit and brew sugar only and tastes just ok. Each brew after that has had modifications but only using dark DME and extra ingredients. When I start AG I know the results will blow me away so based on you using brew sugar I would say that is making it taste less pleasing that you expect and conditioning will improve it.
You're probably right as my Woodfords wherry tasted quite home brewish a couple of weeks ago and now it tastes fantastic. Hopefully it is due to it being young and will get better.

Well, that fruity flavor might be to because of that 1012 fg.... In my opinion it tells me a bit of sugar left. Something under 1010 would have less. But that taste will drop off as it ages. Just keep the bottles around 20 c for that time. I keep mine in large cooler boxes and if the temp drops a bit, I fill a 2 liter bottle with warm to hot water and stick it in the cooler with bottles. I have like 10 of those large, Coleman coolers. Works great.

This week here in Australia Coopers have released a new range of "flavours". I'm not sure which stout they're doing away with but one in definitely going or gone.
Apparently they're working on a brew which should be like Murphys and will be released in the coming months. I'm not sure when you blokes & Sheila's are going to get the new cans.

Just tasted this again tonight and the fruity flavour is now gone. All I get is a nice dark malt flavour ending in licorice notes. It tastes fantastic, and will only get better by the time Christmas comes.

Just put my first attempt of this kit on, went for a kilo of dark malt extract.

reading the instructions (dangerous i know) it suggests 8g per litre, that's almost double what my other kits have been, is that right or just blanket priming advice for all their kits?

Just put my first attempt of this kit on, went for a kilo of dark malt extract.

reading the instructions (dangerous i know) it suggests 8g per litre, that's almost double what my other kits have been, is that right or just blanket priming advice for all their kits?

It depends on the bottle size. But 8g per liter sounds right. If you use those 740 ml pet bottles, I use 2 drops. But 500 ml just 1!!!

Thanks all. I have pretty much used 80g for all the 20 litre batch priming I've done to date.

I've just primed 19 litres of Coopers Stout in my second pressure barrel with 80g caster sugar. Last time on my first barrel which is nearly finished drinking I used 85g dextrose and it worked fine; carbonation just right for stout, and I may just get to the bottom of the barrel without having to reprime :thumb:.
I use the priming calculator and it has always worked for me. http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Latest posts

Back